Facebook + Contacts connection?

thejono

Reaction score
What does google use to find people on facebook through your account? I have a couple friends who I have the exact same name as shown on facebook, but their profile does not show up in their contact credentials. How can I link their facebook to their name manually?

Thurston

Reaction score
I have the same problem. What needs to be done to properly get a correlation between contacts and facebook?

sir

Reaction score
Open Facebook app - hit menu button and go to settings. Click on "Sync friends with Contacts" and select the option you want (Sync all Facebook friends, Sync only with friends currently in your contact list, or Remove Facebook data from Contacts).

I've found that the contact on the Droid needs to have the same name as the contact in Facebook, and the Facebook app will add in the info into your contact on the Droid. However, that data doesn't get updated in your GMail contacts. If someone knows how to get that to happen, definitely let us know.

otaku

Reaction score
The Facebook app does seem to rely heavily on names. I've changed the names for a few of my contacts that I knew were on FB but weren't being synced. I waited and they weren't automatically syncing, so I disabled Facebook syncing, saved those changes, then re-enabled it. It's now slowly syncing anew to all my contacts, and I am noticing the contacts whose names I changed are now syncing to FB!!!

It's a bit annoying, but I think this is the fix we have for now.

Reaction score
You can also do it manually by opening the facebook app, then going into your friends list. Click the picture of the friend you want to sync with your contact and an edit contact icon should appear over their head (among other icons). Once there open the menu and you should be able to "join" the profile with one of your already existing contacts. Hopefully a software update will fix this so you wont have to constantly do this anymore. Hope this helps

otaku

Reaction score
You can also do it manually by opening the facebook app, then going into your friends list. Click the picture of the friend you want to sync with your contact and an edit contact icon should appear over their head (among other icons). Once there open the menu and you should be able to "join" the profile with one of your already existing contacts. Hopefully a software update will fix this so you wont have to constantly do this anymore. Hope this helps

Doesn't work that way for me. I go into the Friend portion of the Facebook app, click the user photo, and click on the button to the left which looks like the Android contact icon.

I am then brought to the user's Facebook "contact" record, listing their name, current status, email, and a link to the Facebook profile. When I bring up the menu, the only options I get are Edit Contact, Share, Options, or Delete Contact. When I select Edit Contact, the screen refreshes with an error message that says "Facebook contact information is not editable on this device" with two buttons at the bottom "Done" and "Revert".

When I click on Options, I am provided with a screen to set a ring tone for the contact or to send incoming calls directly to voicemail.

Nowhere am I presented with an option to join the Facebook contact with another contact record.

I have Facebook set to only sync those contacts that are already in one of my other address books (I am not syncing all FB contacts).

billyNOTnice

Reaction score
you need to click and hold the contact, go to edit and then join is in there...

now that being said i've tried everything i can but i still have about 5 contacts or so that i have renamed and made identical, but for some reason won't show up under the join feature... anyone know what this is?

gth5003

Reaction score
The Facebook app does seem to rely heavily on names. I've changed the names for a few of my contacts that I knew were on FB but weren't being synced. I waited and they weren't automatically syncing, so I disabled Facebook syncing, saved those changes, then re-enabled it. It's now slowly syncing anew to all my contacts, and I am noticing the contacts whose names I changed are now syncing to FB!!!

The funny thing is now that I checked unsync and then made changes and saved then synced again, only 2 of my friends have their pics synced with facebook and the rest don't.....pretty much the exact opposite from before. I did notice that everyone has their profiles synced with their info in my phonebook but their pics aren't. Anyone have this happen?

toastermax

Reaction score
I would love to sync my facebook contacts but i have two groups of friends and currently the sync does not allow you to choose from facebook's lists of friends.

toastermax

Reaction score
I would love to sync my facebook contacts but i have two groups of friends and currently the sync does not allow you to choose from facebook's lists of friends.

otaku

Reaction score

The funny thing is now that I checked unsync and then made changes and saved then synced again, only 2 of my friends have their pics synced with facebook and the rest don't.....pretty much the exact opposite from before. I did notice that everyone has their profiles synced with their info in my phonebook but their pics aren't. Anyone have this happen?

Wait about 20-30 minutes, they should load-in. When you un-sync it gets rid of all the FB information, a re-sync needs to re-download it all over again.

gth5003

Reaction score
I wish it was that easy..........almost 24 hours later and still only have 2 of my contacts facebook pics attached to their info.....Any ideas?

ch0sen0ne

Reaction score
My wife's info was the only one of my contacts that wouldn't sync with FB. I went into FB and did the click on picture and edit contact info in there. I noticed it didnt have her number listed there so I added it. I went into my droid contacts and it still wasnt syncing so I deleted the contact in the droid contacts and re-added it and it started syncing.

So maybe try putting their numbers in the FB contact info and then delete the droid contact that isnt syncing and re-adding it. It was instantly updated with her status and profile pic.

gth5003

Reaction score
My wife's info was the only one of my contacts that wouldn't sync with FB. I went into FB and did the click on picture and edit contact info in there. I noticed it didnt have her number listed there so I added it. I went into my droid contacts and it still wasnt syncing so I deleted the contact in the droid contacts and re-added it and it started syncing.

So maybe try putting their numbers in the FB contact info and then delete the droid contact that isnt syncing and re-adding it. It was instantly updated with her status and profile pic.

Thanks i will try that for sure!! :)

Xeight

Reaction score
I've had the same issue and was able to get it all worked out with a little diligence. It seems like somehow certain contacts are treated differently...randomly. So theres a few ways around this...

- Select the contact - Click menu to edit contact - Press menu button again - Select Join (This is where it was acting somewhat strange and sometimes not showing me any options to add the contact to another. But this did work for most of them flawlessly, combining whichever contacts together you wish.)
Sometimes trying the other duplicate, facebook contact instead of native phone contact when choosing which to edit, would give me different results when attempting to add them together. And also closing the contacts page rebooting and trying again worked when i thought there was no hope for the last stragglers that wouldn't combine together.

Another option that seemed to work was to choose to your facebook contact - Click the menu button to edit - Menu again and then select New Contact - From here youre given the typical new contact stuff to fill in and when finished its added to the contact page you started with.

- In trying to sort this all out i deleted a facebook contact, it gave me something about how i cant really delete this from a read only list, and instead it will be hidden. Since ive done this i cant find anyway to show these hidden contacts. Any clues on this?