Facebook Completes Its $19 Billion Purchase of WhatsApp

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
facebook-whatsapp-done.jpg

It's a done deal now. Facebook just completed its acquisition of WhatsApp for $19 Billion. This acquisition has not been without its drama. Besides the fact that the price is exorbitant, even the FCC warned Facebook that they might not be getting all of the value they should from the purchase. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Regulators in the United States and Europe were concerned about the effects the deal would have on competition in the rough-and-tumble messaging realm (though Google is apparently gearing up to give the combine social giant a run for its money), but the other major concern was making sure user data stays private. Jessica Rich, director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection, put it bluntly back in April (PDF warning): to hear her tell it, "WhatsApp has made a number of promises about the limited nature of the data it collects, maintains, and shares with third parties – promises that exceed the protections currently promised to Facebook users." Facebook apparently managed to ease those fears, but with the deal now closed it's time to see what the folks at 1 Hacker Way actually do with Whatsapp. Our guess? Nothing too great.

What do you think of this? Is it money well spent or did Facebook overpay?

Source: Engadget

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ridiculous but Facebook may have something game changing up it's sleeve with this acquisition that wall street can't see yet and may justify this price. Either way, I'd love to be the (former), owners of WhatsApp.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You'd think Google hangout would be sufficient. I want data hungry apps over sms lines!
I've noticed in my area that while I don't have a data connection, I still have SMS. Not to mention, most carriers include unlimited SMS with their calling plans now.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've noticed in my area that while I don't have a data connection, I still have SMS. Not to mention, most carriers include unlimited SMS with their calling plans now.

I don't run into data blackouts much in my immediate area, but when I do, it seems like SMS and voice are the last things I can use when coverage gets sketchy as I travel.

Also, as you mentioned, unlimited texting. HELLLLOO!! Haha! I've had unlimited messages since I can remember.

I guess I kinda see this fitting into their policy of trying to get people in third-world countries and etc better connected, but if those people in those areas are as crafty as I believe they can be to survive their daily lives, I would think that, if they've got an internet connection, they have other messaging services in place.

Very strange concept to me, especially with the price they paid for it. If Zuckerburg is really that hard up for ways to spend his money, he's welcome to toss me a million. I'm not greedy... :)

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Speak for yourself, I don't need Facebook, maybe you do.
No, I don't need it, but it's convenient for talking to my relatives that don't live in the area. I'm not sure why anyone would delete it. Why not have another route to keep in touch?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No, I don't need it, but it's convenient for talking to my relatives that don't live in the area. I'm not sure why anyone would delete it. Why not have another route to keep in touch?

As someone living 1000 miles away from my immediate family, I agree completely.

Also, I'm very selective about who I add & just recently culled the herd. I got rid of over half my list, coworkers that I don't actually consider friends & other acquaintances that I don't feel the need to share so much with. It's a much more enjoyable experience now. I also make sure to hide pays from ridiculous games & etc that I have no urge to see.

It's all in how you use it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk