Eyes opened after bricking my X

Shelooga

Reaction score
ok so i truly bricked my x yesterday. i was having issues with chevys rom, was messing around with wiping and then formatted my system before reinstalling it even though i dont know what formatting the system means. phone wouldnt boot, so i flashed the stock sbf file on lunch. but it was the 2.1 file. tried flashing 2.2 after work, nothing. it was quite bricky. luckily i was within the 30 days since i bought my x, so verizon let best buy swap my junk out for a brand new x (gained a memory card too since they didnt check for my old one, and also supplied my old lg usb cord from my dare. i know, im sinister right?). so anyway, i updated to 2.2. rooted, and reinstalled chevys rom and used his script to remove bloat and crap instead of deleting via root explorer. also using his overclocking instead of jrummys as i had previously(thinking about tinkering with voltages and slots in setscaling.dx but dunno yet). suprise suprise performance is smooth battery life is awesome and not one problem so far. which were my main goals before but couldnt find a happy medium there.
alright, thats my intro. now to the point. i love doing this stuff. i love tinkering with the inner workings of this. i have so much respect for people that know what irc is and who can build a rom from source and who can explain why froyos internal taks killer is just fine for normal use. im jealous. i can lose 3 hours of my life without realizing it when im working in the system files or playing with things i dont know how to play with. i want to learn how to play the right way. i want to know what im talking about on a deeper level than i do. i want to be able to replace files in my rom and know what result im going to get. i want to be able to do simple things like change text colors or banners without having to read a million instructions in a million places over and over. i want to use the terminal without fear. i certainly dont mind devoting massive amounts of time to reading to trying these things, but i havent started in the right place. i need help getting pointed in the right direction. if i take googles source code for the x today, how can i educate myself enough by december first to compile my own 'custom rom'?
as a 25 year old with amazing ability and potential and lack of desire to stay in the insurance industry and also bypass schooling for self education (with a run-on sentence problem), where do i begin? can one of you experts who laugh at the morons like me give me some pointers/direction? where to start? what basic knowledge about linux/open source do i need? where can i find it? from all my experience i know if theres something i want to learn i can skip a college course and find what i want somewhere online with a little effort. im tired of sitting back and picking up things here and there, but not really understanding why (ex) flashing a zip file changes everything. or why formatting a system (which sounds so good to a beginner) can destroy a phone. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. who knows, i could be the next chevy or pete... insert laugh track here

Lafe

Reaction score
eyes open after bricked his X

Well, I have many of your questions, but on a very non-technical level. For instance, I have no idea what "bricking an X". I need to know how to
use some of the Droid Incredible's features that suggest it "senses" what I am
doing and helps me. In my case...this is wrong. I have a music app running and could find no reasonable way to turn it off.
Ooops...I also find I must be in the wrong forum . My device is a Verizon Droid Incredible made by HTC. it seems to have great potential.
Lafe

mcsinfl

Reaction score
While helping beta test chevy's rom, I accidently flashed the 2.1 sbf and thought I had a brick, it took a couple times flashing the 2.2 sbf, but it worked. I'm not so sure flashing 2.1 over 2.2 and back really bricks the phone like has been said.

OP
Shelooga

Shelooga

Reaction score
While helping beta test chevy's rom, I accidently flashed the 2.1 sbf and thought I had a brick, it took a couple times flashing the 2.2 sbf, but it worked. I'm not so sure flashing 2.1 over 2.2 and back really bricks the phone like has been said.

i tried about 10 times or so. even downloaded 2.2 from different sites as if that would make a difference. tried using rsd 4.7 and 4.8. but in the end i got lucky and just traded phones. i seem to have gotten a better product too in my cpu; ive been running chevys all day with his overclock at 1.225, and ive been playing angry birds, checking fantasy hockey scores, texting my gf, tethering for my buddys ipod touch and my battery is at 80%. (and i unplugged 8 hours ago)