Extremely Slow on 4LTE

Marc David

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy 3
Twitter
marc_david
I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy 3 (SCH-1535)
Android Version: 4.4.2
Build #: KOT49H.153VRUNDNE1

After many tests, in many locations, my average download on 4LE with this phone is a whopping...

1.50 Mbps

My friend who has an iPhone on T-Mobile gets about 15-20 Mbps.

It's gotten much slower since I purchased it after all the updates to the Android system.
The phone itself is okay.

I think for being on an LTE network with a good signal, 1.50 Mbps is pathetic.
speed-test.png

wcjeep

Reaction score
Sounds like network congestion. Any other Verizon 4G phones in the area to compare too? I was recently in a different state with very low 4G congestion. Speeds were awesome.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
As WC mentioned it could be congestion or a couple other factors. It is strange you're seeing these speeds at a variety of different locations in your area. Are you currently on an unlimited plan? If so, what's your monthly average? I know that I get crappy speeds like that at home. (Well, not THAT bad, closer to 5-7mbps up) but it's slow enough to make me believe I'm already being throttled. I average 30-50gig a month on my unlimited plan. I only see the slower speeds at home. I can drive 2 miles away (or at work) and connect to another tower and my speeds will jump to anywhere from 15-25mbps, sometimes higher. That said, I do live in a large residential area, so it "could" simply be congestion. But it usually doesn't matter whether I run the test at 6 am, 2pm or 3am, it's usually right around 5 when I'm at home.
How long have you had your device? Was it purchased new or used? Have you always experienced these low speeds or did it just recently start happening? Have you tried a factory reset? If your device is new and/or less than a year old, I would try and get a replacement as it could be a hardware issue as that's definitely not normal, regardless of congestion in your area.

tap'n on my S5

wcjeep

Reaction score
I have very similar conditions as Cr6. Few miles in any direction I see decent speed.

Edwin Bos

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Not sure if this helps (or if you really wanna go this way), but about half a year back I had the problem of my phone's internet speed dropping a lot overnight. Watched it for a month or two, but it remained slow.

For another problem I had, I executed a factory default (restore). I noticed that after this, my internet speed was suddenly much faster. Not sure what caused the problem...

(also on Galaxy S3)