extended battery/overclocking.

nakhleh926

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one of the extended batteries, probably the 3500mAh one, and I plan on overclocking forever, I was wondering if this possibly lowered the temperatures since the battery is bigger? or does it even make it worse and more unstable?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

N

Nickchapa

It shouldnt matter the size of the battery. Also when overclocking try to undervolt, what overclock app where you thinking of using?

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score
It shouldnt matter the size of the battery. Also when overclocking try to undervolt, what overclock app where you thinking of using?

I switch between droid overclock, set cpu, and quick clock advanced when I get bored, I'm not into undervolting because battery life isn't a top priority for me, I usually undervolt if I have to be out for a long time and that's it.

Sbeck

Reaction score
How many hours can you get with a battery like that and do you have to replace the stock battery door?

Sent from my DROIDX

Rocko

Reaction score
All aftermarket batteries are wildly overrated. Most 20-50%.

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score
thank you guys for your opinions and thoughts, my question was basically asking if a battery that was double the size COSMETICALLY would run cooler than a battery half the size, due to the larger surface area, like a bigger heatsink, for example.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The larger battery will last way longer, but I wouldn't worry about overclocking.

I was overclocking, and apart from a marginally higher Quadrant score(which has absolutely zero real-world relevance), I didn't care for the instability extra battery drain.

I don't even overclock on my gaming PC any more. When you can get such fast parts for so little money today, it just isn't worth the hassle of having to play with settings, worry about cooling, dealing with instability or shortening the life of the components... all just to be able to say that my game went from 98fps to 104fps... Both of which are far beyond the ability of the human eye or brain to detect.

I tried overclocking on the DX, but it caused random reboots and shortened the battery life a bit, and in the end, the "performance" gain was placebo at best...

These are no longer the days of the Celeron 300a, where you can get an instant 450Mhz+ chip and huge performance gain by changing a multiplier. The law of diminishing returns has kicked in, and in a phone where heat and energy consumption are critical, the payoff just isn't there.

If it were me, I would just toss in the large battery and call it a day...

FastKatt

Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree to disagree.
My D1 runs much smother and faster at 1100 vs 800
It still depends on what device you are working with.

Swyped on my Droid, sent via Tapatalk. It's amazing what ones thumb can do!

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score
ok, let me rephrase this, again. will 30c on a NORMAL battery be 30c on an EXTENDED/LARGE battery, because there is a larger surface area for the heat to dissipate?
lots of these answers are irrelevant.