Exchange/Cisco and the Droid...

TimParker

Reaction score
Ok, I must be missing something here. Hopefully someone can help me out. I see talk about people using Touchdown and talking to Exchange servers. But the current OS doesn't work with Cisco Group Authentication unless "rooted" from what I can tell.....

I am not a Cisco "expert" (I know enough to be dangerous). So how are people using their Droids with Exchange? Are they all rooted? Is there a different way I should configure my Cisco VPN to be able to get back into the office to the Exchange server?

TIA.

Tim

chiadrum

Reaction score
Is the Exchange Active Synch not working for you?
I had a small bit of trouble setting it up but since then it has been perfect.
For example-I had to use web-mail.trinetsystems.com to authenticate rather that https://web-mail.trinetsystems.com
after that I was in business.

OP
T

TimParker

Reaction score
No my problem is that I can't get connected with our VPN. It has to do with the Droids VPN software not doing Group authentication. I am not sure what I need to change/upgrade or do to get away from it.

If I just turn on the wifi (while in the office) I can use Touchdown and get email just fine. It's when we are not in the office that I need/would like it to work.....

How do you connect into your office from remote?

chiadrum

Reaction score
Did you setup Exchange Active Synch when you first activated your phone?
I was prompted when I powered up my phone and it has worked very well for me.
Goto-Menu-Settings-Accounts and Sync.
You should have an Exchange Active Synch option.
Setup was straightforward other that excluding the https:// from my company's webmail address in the setup.

mrdroid

Reaction score
If your office's Exchange server isn't setup to accept external ActiveSync connections then you're screwed. Android is a HUGE failure at VPN support and as you mentioned does not work unless you're rooted... even then it flaky at best.

OP
T

TimParker

Reaction score
I was just about to update this with some more info....the fact that we don't allow external connections to our Mail server. That may be the way I have to go in the future. We have to worry about HIPPA laws so I am very leary of it....

Oh well, time to rethink our strategies I guess.....

mrdroid

Reaction score
I have the same issue at work. Though I don't use my Droid for work I just wanted to see if I could get it setup... our Exchange admins don't allow external ActiveSync connections because it's not an adopted standard within our company yet...

One of the only things I wish Android had that the iPhone has is native Cisco concentrator compatibility.

chiadrum

Reaction score
Ok-sorry to steer you in the wrong direction.
Could your company allow forwarding to gmail?