Every app being blocked by screen overlay since update that enabled wifi calling

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I can't attach or forward from anything since is says something about screen overlay

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
SMYDSMITH, that drove me crazy when those "screen overlay" prompts kept appearing for everything I tried to do. And I couldn't figure out how to get around it. Basically you have to figure out which app is interfering/causing the screen overlay.

The next time you get the prompt, it should take you to the list of apps with screen overlay permissions. Until you figure out which app is the culprit, you may want to turn off all of them. Then you can go back to the app you were in, go to that app's settings, then to that app's permissions and set the permissions it needs to work. After you have done that, you can go back to turn on the overlays.

I'll try to give a step by step:
To turn off overlay:
1. Go to settings then to Applications.
2. In the upper right menu (might be labeled "more"), select "draw over other apps"
3. In the "draw over other apps" list, turn off the app that is preventing you from doing what you want to do. Until you discover which app is causing the problem, you may have to turn off all of them. Or you can turn off one at a time to discover which app is causing the problem.
4. Go back to settings ->applications, then select the app you want to use.
5. Select permissions and turn on that app's permissions (ie. camera, storage, location, contacts, etc) that you want on so you can use that app.
6. Go back to step 1 & 2 to turn the draw over other apps permission back on.

Hopefully, this helps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
SMYDSMITH, that drove me crazy when those "screen overlay" prompts kept appearing for everything I tried to do. And I couldn't figure out how to get around it. Basically you have to figure out which app is interfering/causing the screen overlay.

The next time you get the prompt, it should take you to the list of apps with screen overlay permissions. Until you figure out which app is the culprit, you may want to turn off all of them. Then you can go back to the app you were in, go to that app's settings, then to that app's permissions and set the permissions it needs to work. After you have done that, you can go back to turn on the overlays.

I'll try to give a step by step:
To turn off overlay:
1. Go to settings then to Applications.
2. In the upper right menu (might be labeled "more"), select "draw over other apps"
3. In the "draw over other apps" list, turn off the app that is preventing you from doing what you want to do. Until you discover which app is causing the problem, you may have to turn off all of them. Or you can turn off one at a time to discover which app is causing the problem.
4. Go back to settings ->applications, then select the app you want to use.
5. Select permissions and turn on that app's permissions (ie. camera, storage, location, contacts, etc) that you want on so you can use that app.
6. Go back to step 1 & 2 to turn the draw over other apps permission back on.

Hopefully, this helps.

Mine is System Glow and I'm not ok with having to turn it on and off. It's designed to overlay the screen. That's what it does. Our makes a glowing line when cpu is being used and another when data/Wi-Fi is being used. It's priceless when an app goes rogue and the cpu is running when it shouldn't and/or something is using data in tbd background when I don't want it to. It saved me from going WAY over my data limit last month when AT&T Locker went rogue and started sending my entire gallery over data network when I had it set to Wi-Fi only then no sync at all when that didn't work. The app clued me that my phone was sending something over data when I was on Wi-Fi because the glowing line was blue (my set for data) instead of green (my Wi-Fi setting).

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Why did the update that enabled wifi calling cause this overlay issue. It's almost like a complete version change of all Google related apps ie messenger etc . So what flavor of Android os am I on now on verizon with a turbo 2 Nougut, marshmallow, banana cream pie from Gilligan island? Talk about fragmentation and lack of QA in a update rollout this made my phone distinctions until I tried the fix above which worked now I am adding back one by one until I find the problem app that I'll post when I find it... What the heck changed to do this? I actually downloaded the Android development tools and I am frustrated enough that I am going to try to see if I can code some apps that fix some of the issues I've been talking about that don't have existing functionality... Btw in the Android development kit it has problems installing the SDK unless you change the folder path to a different folder than default. What's up with the lack of QA in products LOL.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Supposedly this update is a security measure related do you don't have apps accessing your phone info without your permission. And I agree with you, mbm and everyone else who has complained about this; it is a royal PITA! The overlay app that causes my problems is an app called "start" which is app drawer launcher that stays on top of any app. No matter what app I'm in, I can go to that overlay and access any app I want. I'm not getting rid of it because it is way too convenient. So I'm forced to turn it off and back on everytime I want to give a new or updated app permissions. A PITA!

And you're right, no QA. I thought there was something wrong with my phone.
da2f830a00cd0fb347a9f329de9df343.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Supposedly this update is a security measure related do you don't have apps accessing your phone info without your permission. And I agree with you, mbm and everyone else who has complained about this; it is a royal PITA! The overlay app that causes my problems is an app called "start" which is app drawer launcher that stays on top of any app. No matter what app I'm in, I can go to that overlay and access any app I want. I'm not getting rid of it because it is way too convenient. So I'm forced to turn it off and back on everytime I want to give a new or updated app permissions. A PITA!

And you're right, no QA. I thought there was something wrong with my phone.
da2f830a00cd0fb347a9f329de9df343.jpg

My bank app ADP app and Tapatalk do it every time I open them since their last updates. For whatever reason TT keeps going back to the home page when I exit but on the rare occasion it doesn't it doesn't do the permission thing so I'm inclined to believe it's not Android itself but the apps not being quite ready for the newer Android versions.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Why did the update that enabled wifi calling cause this overlay issue. It's almost like a complete version change of all Google related apps ie messenger etc . So what flavor of Android os am I on now on verizon with a turbo 2 Nougut, marshmallow, banana cream pie from Gilligan island? ....

I don't think this new update did this. The update you just installed is Android 6.0.1 which is still Marshmallow. We have been running Android 6.0 Marshmallow since early 2016 on our Turbo 2's. I'm pretty sure that the original Marshmallow 6.0 update earlier this year added the App Overlay feature. Like TisMyDroid and mountainbikermark mentioned, it was probably a newly installed app or an app update that caused the issues you are experiencing. My wife and I have had zero issues with this new 6.0.1 update on our Turbo 2's so I don't think this is a wide spread problem affecting everyone. Based on the issues you have posted in other threads I'm guessing you have more than one app that is just not optimized to run on Android Marshmallow.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, Sajo is correct. The only app that causes my overlay problem is not an app that is found in the app store so most likely not optimized to cooperate with Marshmallow. It just happens to be an app I've used for years and not about to get rid if it. So, live with the problem, I must.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, Sajo is correct. The only app that causes my overlay problem is not an app that is found in the app store so most likely not optimized to cooperate with Marshmallow. It just happens to be an app I've used for years and not about to get rid if it. So, live with the problem, I must.

If it gets too bad you can try one called Taskbar that's on the Play Store. It does the same thing as Start.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'll try it mbm. Thanks!

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
So far I have turned of about 12 of the thirty in the overlay list but then sometimes I have to turn AppLock off and other times not. So that's one app so far and I know I will find more s I keep turning them on. This is much like UAC in Windows which is a good intention security practice but in reality makes users click through or constantly turn off in to get there work done. Security that blocks functionality in a way that the security constantly needs to be turned off is not effective or efficient who agrees. Press the like button :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So far I have turned of about 12 of the thirty in the overlay list but then sometimes I have to turn AppLock off and other times not. So that's one app so far and I know I will find more s I keep turning them on. This is much like UAC in Windows which is a good intention security practice but in reality makes users click through or constantly turn off in to get there work done. Security that blocks functionality in a way that the security constantly needs to be turned off is not effective or efficient who agrees. Press the like button :)

I have not had to turn a single thing off on either of my two phones since receiving this 6.0.1 update. There should not be many turned On by default. I'm pretty sure that the issues you are experiencing are not common to every Turbo 2 owner that received the 6.0.1 upgrade. Something strange is happening with your phone.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I really thinks it all depends on which apps you have that keep an overlay always on the screen (like the one I circled above). I tried Taskbar like mbm suggested and it interferes also. The only two apps I have had that cause the overlay prompt is Start and Taskbar. Both those apps leave a dimmed icon on the screen at all times even on top of other apps (unless I disable it). I was hoping Taskbar would not but it sure does.