Eric Schmidt Reiterates Independence of Motorola; They Don't Even Have ICS Yet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
eric_schmidt-talking.jpg

While in Korea this week, Eric Schmidt reiterated that Google will let Motorola run itself independently from Google. Here is his statement, "In general, with all of our partners, we told them that the Motorola deal will close and we will run it sufficiently and independently, that it will not violate the openness of Android … we're not going to change in any material way the way we operate." Furthermore, Motorola's VP of Software Development Ruth Hennigar, added his two cents worth indicating that Moto still doesn't even have the source code of Android Ice Cream Sandwich yet.

This is some interesting news on a couple of levels. First, it's obviously important to both Google and Motorola to squelch the rumors that Moto will get preferential treatment for Android OS support in the future. This should alleviate some of the trepidations that any of the other Android OEMs might have. Second, this is also a bit of sad news for Motorola users. It means it could be a while before Motorola is able to get Ice Cream Sandwich running on their hardware, since they don't even have it to test with yet.

Share your thoughts in the forums.

Source: PhoneArena

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey Eric Schmidt...Why are only 44% of Android devices on Ginger Bread? What about that coalition conference you had to stop fragmentation, what a joke. I like Android less and less each day. Somebody bring WebOS back!

vatothe0

Reaction score
Hey Eric Schmidt...Why are only 44% of Android devices on Ginger Bread? What about that coalition conference you had to stop fragmentation, what a joke. I like Android less and less each day. Somebody bring WebOS back!

Yeah! The sole manufacturer of the 5 devices with WebOS can get them all updated at the same time. Why can't the hundreds of manufacturers of thousands of android devices update at exactly the same time?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah! The sole manufacturer of the 5 devices with WebOS can get them all updated at the same time. Why can't the hundreds of manufacturers of thousands of android devices update at exactly the same time?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Because Google has let fragmentation get out of control and now manufacturers are taking advantage of us and the situation. There are way too many poor quality Android devices, it should have never gotten that way.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually think the Google should give Motorola special treatment so other manufacturers will actually have to work harder on giving us timely updates and better built phones. There are just phones that should have never been aloud to be Android devices...example: any Galaxy S1 phone.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I actually think the Google should give Motorola special treatment so other manufacturers will actually have to work harder on giving us timely updates and better built phones. There are just phones that should have never been aloud to be Android devices...example: any Galaxy S1 phone.

Yes and no. Yes because it could help increase the quality of the product but no because it could be used in some form as an anti-trust matter. I think Google could look at Moto and say "stop locking the devices down so people can experiment with our OS as it was intended".

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I am hope some good comes of Google acquiring Moto. Moto makes some bad decisions sometimes and they really show that they don't care about their customers. On the other had though, Moto is probably one the best at releasing updates and in the hardware department. It would be nice if Google tells Moto behind the scenes to: knock off their Shenanigans with the bootloader, stop releasing a new phone every month and to fix their horrible camera software.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Umm, you do understand that Verizon is the one pulling 'shenanigans' with the boot loader, right?

And what, pray tell, is wrong with a new phone every month?

apotheosis415

Reaction score
"6 weeks"

SOOOoooooo Moto blowing air up our skirts by saying 6 weeks for ICS rollout is total BS. Wonderful. Reinforcing my NEVER buying a moto phone ever again.

B-Unit

Reaction score
SOOOoooooo Moto blowing air up our skirts by saying 6 weeks for ICS rollout is total BS. Wonderful. Reinforcing my NEVER buying a moto phone ever again.

It was later clarified that they would have timelines for updates within 6 weeks of getting the code. But of course, who would pay attention, so much easier to take a single tweet as the Gospel...

apotheosis415

Reaction score
Gospel? No. I dont buy the gospel anyway. But if a moto rep says 6 weeks. I'm going to believe 6 weeks until I hear otherwise.

I find it hard to believe that they could get it ready to push by 6 weeks if they don't have it yet. Thats what Im saying.

I'm just pissed I bought the damn droid 3. And there is no recourse for 2 years unless I pay full price. The 1080 camera does not work. That was #1 reason for getting it. yet I dont have that. There is a major camera bugs still "being looked into." At what point can I get any sort of equal refund for buying a device for a specific feature, that does not work?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why don't other manufacturers have such a tightly locked bootloader if it is just "Verizon" making them lock it? Moto uses military grade encryption on their bootloaders. HTC while locked is easier to crack and there are Sasmungs that are not even locked on Verizon. I think Verizon says "hey Moto do you think you could lock your device down" and Moto says "glad you asked, we will lock the hell out of it". I use to hate Moto for this, but I don't anymore because they do make good devices. It's not a big deal as much that they can't use custom kernels as the hardware is pretty fast now anyways.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Define 'does not work'? It would seem to me if your camera doesn't work, you should return the phone under warranty for one that does work.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes one thing Moto really needs to do is fix there buggy as hell camera software. It's been like that since the d1.