eReader Tablet Comparison; B&N Nook Tablet, B&N Nook Color, Kindle Fire, HTC Flyer

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
eReader-tablet-comparison-chart-nov-2011.JPG

Yesterday we brought you some news about Barnes & Noble bringing a competitor, the Nook Tablet, forward to fight the impending Kindle Fire from Amazon. Today we have a great comparison chart above from PhoneArena for both products, that also includes the older model Nook Color and the HTC Flyer. Basically, these tablets are creating a new niche that could be called the "eReader Tablet", and each of them has their own strengths and weaknesses. Ultimately, the winner will likely be decided by the quantity and quality of the content that the device provides access to.

What's really interesting about this head-to-head competition is that these newer devices are going to really start pushing the Android tablet technology into the mainstream, and will solidify Android's place in the tablet market while driving forward toward market dominance. It's ironic, yet not surprising, that these devices pose the greatest threat to the reigning king of tablets, the Apple iPad series, because they technically don't really compete for the same customers. The reason for this is simply that in the final assessment, most consumers do not really care about the device. They care about what content the device provides. Once again, we see that as long as there is good competition in the marketplace, consumers are the winners.

Sound off in the forums which one or more of these tablets you are considering for yourself or your family.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via PhoneArena

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The new Nook looks kinda nice. I like that it has an IPS screen and you can expand the memory. If it can be rooted and rom'd that will make it a very desirable device. 7" is about what I want in a tablet. I have an iPad from work and would like to have it be a bit more portable.

Caesarg

Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, the original Nook Color has the same VividView IPS screen as the new one. They kept the same screen for the new one.

Sherry

Reaction score
I have been looking at tablets and had heard a new Nook was coming. It is exactly what I want, I don't need a computer and didn't need the larger size, this is perfect. Thanks B&N!

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
The Nook Tablet seems to be where it's at, unless you want the front-facing and rear cameras that the Flyer provides.