Equidistant vertical lines on screen

kfay

Reaction score
I have had my DroidX for almost a year. For the last month or two there have been distinct lines that show most clearly when the phone screen is black, but they are also faintly visible when the screen is active. The lines are quite straight and parallel to each other. Phone working fine so far.
Any ideas?
View attachment 41219

en28so

Reaction score
That looks bad. My screen went bad too, but I had a different problem. I don't have insurance but they sent me a refurbished one for free (which seems to be having a volume issue now), since it had been less than 1yr. I would give VZ a call to replace yours under warranty.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
so it doesn't affect the display at all... and you can't feel the lines?

OP
K

kfay

Reaction score
so it doesn't affect the display at all... and you can't feel the lines?

If it does affect the display, I am too much of a touch screen newbie to detect it. I have not noticed any change since they appeared. I cannot feel the lines.
FWIW - The lines look to be above the display, though this may just be an illusion.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you need a new display although that is my guess.

I know someone who replaced their X's screen for just over $100, including labor. You can take it to a competent local cell repair shop and they should have it ready for you in a few hours. Some thoughts:
-you might try a factory reset first
-set your screen lock before you take it for repairs. remove any sensitive items from removable SD card
-the shop will need the screen and another part...the touch sensitivity hardware, I think. Quiz them to see if they know this.
-dust can get under the screen during and after a repair like this. Talk to them about cleanliness and how well they seal the screen so dust doesn't get in.

OP
K

kfay

Reaction score
I brought it into the Verizon store since it was still under warranty. They said they had not seen the problem before, and replaced the phone with no hesitation.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Those sure look like the digitizer (what makes the touchscreen work by touch) layer. Glad you got it replaced!