Epic Fail on Motorola and Verizon

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score
Their are over 1900 threads in the tech support forum, just thought I'd throw that out there. Also, why has this thread turned so hostile, I've already stated that I regret posting the title as I was really frustrated when I first wrote it. Almost everyone on here has been real helpful and I appreciate that. No need to be insulting on a guy whos having problems with his phone and I am by far not the only one.

It's not an insult, it's the truth. You ARE less competent, which is ok. But rather than asking for help nicely, you came in with an attitude.

Am I not allowed to complain about something that many people on this thread have already agreed with? It SHOULD have came with a manual, am I wrong? Why are you taking this so personal?

Nedaroth

Reaction score
yea when i got to the iphone part of your rant, i figured you were just trolling.
So to move on, welcome to the forum:) And stay awhile and hay were here to help:)

OP
S

spillner

Reaction score
yea when i got to the iphone part of your rant, i figured you were just trolling.
So to move on, welcome to the forum:) And stay awhile and hay were here to help:)

Thanks. Again, to all who read my original post. Trust me when I tell you I was on the verge of throwing my droid out the window when I wrote it. I apologize for my hostility. Most of you have been very helpful, I just needed to rant I guess. I know this phone is great, I just was expecting more on how to use it when I got it. Kinda felt like that kid who was thrown in the deep end when learning how to swim.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Their are over 1900 threads in the tech support forum, just thought I'd throw that out there. Also, why has this thread turned so hostile, I've already stated that I regret posting the title as I was really frustrated when I first wrote it. Almost everyone on here has been real helpful and I appreciate that. No need to be insulting on a guy whos having problems with his phone and I am by far not the only one.

It's not an insult, it's the truth. You ARE less competent, which is ok. But rather than asking for help nicely, you came in with an attitude.

Am I not allowed to complain about something that many people on this thread have already agreed with? It SHOULD have came with a manual, am I wrong? Why are you taking this so personal?

Guys, settle down or the mods will close this thread.

OP is not a bad guy, he's not dumb. He just wants some instructions. He simply didn't know that we had all the answers here.:)

The thread title does create the attitude however. You yourself admitted that it was too strong.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
I came from a 2 year old Windows mobile phone , and was actually surprised how easy it was to adapt to and learn(what i have as of yet) if i ever figure everythig out ill need a new phone where is the fun than. Im just glad i never had to download an app for windows 7 everything i needed came with the os , oh wait i think i downloaded a few. If anyone here can make windows os do everything it can or even knows everything it can do you need to get a life :) I have not owned or really seen a Iphone or what it could do it might blow the droid away, All i know is this does way more than i need and the only thing i was thinking was i wish i could use the scanner on here to list all my dvd's, and last night what did i find inventory trial does exactly what i was lookng for , I didnt even search for it just checking online and in the apps store i came across it, I am waitng the the phone to read my mind and not cause me to look for info for anything maybe the Iphone june realease will do that I just hope it doesnt drop the mind reading process half way through the sync. Ok I was bored this is part informative and mostley satire to lighten up this thread. Oh and please let me know when the sex without the wife app is released.

SGTiger

Reaction score
The thread title does create the attitude however. You yourself admitted that it was too strong.

Yeah, "Epic Fail", sounded more like trolling than actually asking for answers to questions he had. The biggest complaint that I have heard from him is that he had to download the manual instead of having a printed one handed to him. :mad: I'll bet over 90% of the users here have not seen this manual. I think he is right. This phone is definitely NOT for HIM.

mjs31

Reaction score
Ok so I'm new to the whole smart phone thing but I am getting real fed up with trying to figure this phone out. Why you ask? Because they're isn't one damn instruction manual for the thing. I've had to learn how to use it through this forum, I don't even know all of this phones capabilities, I assume it does everything the iPhone does which is what they advertise.

My issues so far:
1) came with a 16gig sd card that you can't manage from the phone, you need to use a computer. Which isn't mentioned anywhere accept on this forum
2) no instruction on how to access content from the SD card, I stumbled on that answer on the this forum.
3) Can't play digital copies of dvds even though the iPhone has no problems doing it. I have to convert the WMV file to Mpeg4, which wouldn't be a problem if the copies weren't encrypted, which means I have to get another program decrypt the files ( annoying ).
4) Need an app for everything. One thing I didn't know is that you need to download an app for just about everything. The phone is a multimedia machine, to use it properly you need to know what apps to get. I'm a newb with this stuff. I had to endless search forums to figure out that to do things like play music, I would need to download an app. I had a Chocolate before the droid and even that came with a music player.

I know I'm going to get flammed for this post, but as a first time buyer with no experience on how to use the phone you have to admit that motorola and verizon dropped the ball. I know this phone is great, I love the internet access I get with it and the GPS, but why does it have to be so complicated to use? Why is there no instructions in the box? My brother has an iPhone and he has had no problems using it. He watches movies with ease. Plays music with no problems. It just seems like you have to be a computer wiz to use this phone to its potential.

There is a post in this forum relating to some of this. It is from a professor that asks to write an essay on what the phone would be like with and without this forum. The best answer was "win vs fail". Trust me when I say you will learn it and actually have fun doing it. The apps are very nice and allow full customization...besides...you get to see what is new every hour or less. Iphone is a controlled experience and Steve Jobs is the controller.
By the way..I watch movies, play music, open pdf files, open excel files, open word files, etc without a single issue.

Ask your Iphone using brother to transfer some pdf, word, movies and just maybe a large item you want to carry to work with you on his Iphone. Yeah...real easy to do? Now do it with the Droid...yeah...no need for Itunes. Just drag and drop files to and FROM the droid. It automatically recognizes new things that are on the card and takes care of it for you.

There is much more I could say, but you need to be patient. I have owned the Iphone 3GS, Moto Q's, many blackberries and this phone completely rules them all IMHO.

jmacal83

Reaction score
I would agree with the poster there was no manual with the phone..there should have included it with it. BUT like the another poster the fun comes with figuring things on your own (HOLY **** that's how you do it).

Personally I like to install apps it will improve the functionality of tasks that i need to get done.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Rewrote the title as it seems to be to offending and I should have wrote this thread after I had calmed down a little.

Hey, Spillner, I get it man, I really do. Back in the day, (about 2001 or so) I was a computer tech with a large manufacturer, and I worked out of their retail outlets, and I dealt with people all of time that were frustrated, and angry because their computer seemed to be getting the best of them. I definitely get where you are coming from. Don't worry about it, when you open the box, and find no manual, it can be a bit daunting.

I'll admit on my first couple of days, I was wondering if I would be able to use the phone to it's potential, and then, I figured, I will use it to my potential, and then things started going easier. (I also have to say, that finding this forum helped enormously) It's all in how you want to use it. Since I am a stay at home dad for now, I have my phone set up to remind me of appointments, volunteer dates at school, and things on my to do list. Gone are my notebooks, notepads, and note cards and my stupid printed list from my computer. All of that is contained within my Droid, and it can do more. I am overwhelemed with the amount of things I have to do on a daily basis, and it was a bear to stay organized, so far this device is helping me to stay more organized than any other device, or method I have owned. After searching through the apps market, I found the Astrid task list and it is the greatest thing ever... enter a task, it syncs it to my calender as well as giving me reminders every hour or so on the date I set it up for. I have Slacker and Pandora radio, on my home screen as well as my notepad and a few other things.

This thing works... and it's great. Have confidence fellow Droid owner... you're gonna love this thing.

iPirate

Reaction score
The software on the phone is very intuitive I don't see a problem with the lack of a manual.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Note that fewer and fewer things come with a printed manual anymore. Recently bought a TV and they included a CD with the manual on it. But they sure should tell you where to find the manual online if they don't include it. They should have included one of those mini-sized CD's with the Droid.