Entitlement Hack for RAZR HD/MAXX HD XT926 Wireless & USB, ICS & JB

phontek642

Reaction score
thank you

Well i checked it out on my RAZR Maxx, JB 4.1.2, worked like a charm only its line "79 Entitlement check 1"

changed it to 0 and...Wala rebooted to Vz wifi tether and thanks again

Matt

Last edited:
OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
OP has been UPDATED... This Hack goes further as a RAZR_ENTITLEMENT_HACK.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
What does the entitlement hack do? What is it for?
Thanks in advance for the answer

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Entitlement hack turns off the check by your phone to see if you're enrolled in the Verizon Wireless Mobile Hotspot in order to do wireless WiFi tethering with the Mobile Hotspot app. It also enables PDANet+ to work as well. Otherwise you get the following screens:

bu4ynuzu.jpg

ama3umy4.jpg

uhema5u5.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have all three.
I select the one with the hammer and wrench.

Instead of seeing settings.db, I get a message -> No databases found.
I've reset the phone, I've cleared the cache, cleared the app data... Nothing

Don't know if this was answered, but there are TWO hammer and wrench files on my phone (this may be unique to my phone)...one near the top of the list, the other near the bottom. They are different in appearance, as the one at the top looks "fatter" (sorry, couldn't come up with a better description). The file names are in alphabetical order, so you want the one at the bottom (with the red handle) called "Settings : Storage" - without the spaces (again, see image below).

zajasery.jpg

Note: YOU DO NOT want to edit the file named "entitlement" in the "E"s near the top.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sorry was just offering other suggestions to the hack.

No need to apologize, Redsnk...we appreciate all types of help. You may actually be on to something though. I will investigate further as I didn't see if you did the entitlement hack, yet you say it works. I'll report back.

Update; I'm happy to report that Wifi Tether 3.2 Beta 2 indeed works with root and NO entitlement hack (i.e. set to 1).

Good find, Redsnk95!

Last edited:
OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
I have confirmed, the Entitlement Hack works on XT926 Razr/Maxx HD running on JB update version 4.1.2. The OP has been updated with settings/slight adjustment.

Droid3DR

Reaction score
I did the entitlement hack using ashell and SQLite manager on my version Razr M DEV edition. Hotsopot is enabled and my devices connect to phone BUT no Internet access!! I tried accessing from phone with hotspot on the access from phone works. Clearly an issue with the wifi tether. Any ideas?

DonnitaMae

Reaction score
Today when the OTA killed my Foxfi/PDANet I rooted but it was still being blocked. I found this post and was able to fix my problem! The only thing that I had to change was the line to edit. I have a Razr Maxx. The line was 66 on my phone. I rebooted and it worked just fine. Barnacle won't work but I don't know how long that may have been a problem because I haven't used it in a very long time. Barnacle was getting a NAT error. But Foxfi/PDANet and WiFi Tether for Root Users both work fine.

Thanks KaChow!! :hail:

Last edited:

Telescopist

Reaction score
Ooo sounds like you lost root! Download root checker and see if you still have root permissions. If you didn't protect root using the voodoo app while upgrading to jellybean (like me) the superuser app will still be there but will not have superuser permissions. If you did protect root but having problems bringing it back with voodo then there is a utility around the forum that matt created that would help you restore. Again this utility is only if you did protect root and could not restore root with voodoo. If not you are SOL. For now anyway
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I downloaded Root Checker. It verifies that I have root access. Still, I have the same issue as tech_head. I don't see settings.db. I get the response that "No databases found." Any suggestions about what to do? Thanks.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
I downloaded Root Checker. It verifies that I have root access. Still, I have the same issue as tech_head. I don't see settings.db. I get the response that "No databases found." Any suggestions about what to do? Thanks.

Just to doublecheck that everything is functioning properly. First go into SuperUser> slide the screen to the left and press the "su binary v1.1X:SUPERSU, tap to check for updates"> select "Update" on the next screen "Allow" any of the pop-ups> if successful should see "That was cool, do it again." Next go into SQlite Editor or the default app you are using, look for "Settings Storage" it will be a Hammer standing up, with a wrench laying down behind it = this what the app looks like. Select it> there should be three options 1) android_metadata, 2) settings, 3) sqlite_sequence. Select #2) settings. Scroll down not sure what device you have but look for "entitlement_check" if you have not made the selection yet the Value will display "1"> go ahead and highlight this "entitlement_check" setting and select the pen in the upper screen> in the next screen change the "value" to 0 and select save. Reboot and enjoy.

If for any reason you still are unable to access the setting, go into your Titanium Backup or Backup app and check to make sure that you did not, "freeze or disable this app" by mistake.

View attachment 61450 View attachment 61449

Last edited:

Telescopist

Reaction score
Screen Shot

Hi, Please find attached a screen shot of the portion in Settings where #79 is displayed View attachment 61451

You write that: On XT912 Razr/Maxx “79 entitlement_check 1”7) Press the line to highlight the setting
8) Select the “Pen” at the top of the screen
9) Find the “value” and change to “0” and select “save”.

My #79 is 'network setting on boot'. Could direct me toward the setting that I need to change? Thanks.

Telescopist

Reaction score
Just to doublecheck that everything is functioning properly. First go into SuperUser> slide the screen to the left and press the "su binary v1.1X:SUPERSU, tap to check for updates"> select "Update" on the next screen "Allow" any of the pop-ups> if successful should see "That was cool, do it again." Next go into SQlite Editor or the default app you are using, look for "Settings Storage" it will be a Hammer standing up, with a wrench laying down behind it = this what the app looks like. Select it> there should be three options 1) android_metadata, 2) settings, 3) sqlite_sequence. Select #2) settings. Scroll down not sure what device you have but look for "entitlement_check" if you have not made the selection yet the Value will display "1"> go ahead and highlight this "entitlement_check" setting and select the pen in the upper screen> in the next screen change the "value" to 0 and select save. Reboot and enjoy.

If for any reason you still are unable to access the setting, go into your Titanium Backup or Backup app and check to make sure that you did not, "freeze or disable this app" by mistake.

View attachment 61450 View attachment 61449

Thank you very much. I did not have to take these additional steps after all. SQlite opened up and decided to play nice. I found "entitlement_Check" at #16 on the list. I changed the value to "0". I tethered the phone (Razr MAXX) to a laptop making sure that the laptop was not picking up a WiFi signal from my router. The rest is HX. No announcement from Verizon that I needed to sign a 2 year contract for blah, blah, blah $. Works like a charm. At least until Verizon figures out how to put a monkey wrench into the situation. :blink: