Endless boot loop and no recovery mode. Help!

Darexi

Reaction score
I recently rooted my phone and upgraded to the 2.2 froyo ROM available in the ROM Manager. Everything was all fine and dandy until earlier tonight, when all of a sudden my phone reboots itself. Now it's stuck at the red-eye thing and anytime I attempt to boot into recovery mode, the Motorola logo stays around longer then usual before rebooting itself again.

I'm not really sure what else to do. Please help!

banderbe

Reaction score
*EXACTLY* how are you attempting to boot into recovery mode and what recovery are you running? The proper method is to pull the battery, then hold down 'X' while holding the power button just until you see the screen brighten and then let off both buttons. Some people will hold them down until the recovery menu appears. Not necessary. Then wait.. sometimes it can take a bit for the recovery screen to come up. I have flashed everything - even kernels I knew had little chance of working; I've been in boot loops and stuck at the 'M' logo - and I have never seen recovery not come up and allow me to restore a nandroid backup.

If you're doing things right and are really truly bricked then look around for the threads on using RSD Lite and an SBF image.

Last edited:
OP
D

Darexi

Reaction score
I'm doing exactly as you mentioned to boot into recovery, but it just loops back to the Motorola logo everytime I try it. I'm not even sure what could have happened to cause this. My phone was working perfectly fine all day. Sigh. I'll look into using RSD unless there's other suggestions.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
This seems to be a common issue with rom manager and 2.2. Not sure what the issue is for sure. Can you get to the bootloader to use rsd? If so just use the sprecovery sbf and the you can install a working rom from there. Or if you have an old nandroid backup that works with sprecovery can load that.

Jason

deftdrummer

Reaction score
I am having exactly the same problem as the OP. I have a fair amount of experience with rooting and flashing custom roms but I've never seen an instance where I couldn't get into recovery mode. Recently I wiped my SD card and I realize now there were files on the card that were vital to the boot sequence. I've tried to reinstall things using terminal commands.

My phone has a red x through the battery and is in an endless boot cycle. I was previously running Pete's Bugless Beast Froyo build. This really sucks, and to think I was trying* to get it ready to sell. Now it could be useless!? Help please!