Enable Beats Audio without using stock Music app??

bvjens31

Reaction score
I have downloaded the Google Music app (v4.0.9.509) so I can listen to music purchased through the Market (since I can't do it via stock Music app), and I was kinda disappointed when I saw that the Beats audio doesn't automatically enable when I use the new music app. Is there a way to turn this on manually? What a bummer if not!!!

Last edited:

mikeinctown

Reaction score
IIRC the Beats audio only works on music stored on the phone right now. A post made on the HTC forums states that the codes were released to devs in the last week so that they can integrate with their 3rd party applications.

OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
IIRC the Beats audio only works on music stored on the phone right now. A post made on the HTC forums states that the codes were released to devs in the last week so that they can integrate with their 3rd party applications.

Ah, yeah apparently there are some articles on the web about it being a known fact that Beats only works with stock app. Shoulda done my homework before posting. But now, maybe a more pertinent question: is there a way to play Google Music (as in songs purchased from market) in the default music app? I have found the location of the google music cache that it stores songs for "offline" access, but it'll be a pain moving those to my default library folder, and renaming all the MP3s and editing their ID tags. Is it even possible to tell the default music app to monitor other folders for songs? Thanks.

jeffe65

Reaction score
I had loaded about 3-4 Mb of music from my OG Droid in various albums with some songs not in any particular folder, and the default app found them just fine. I had placed them in a folder called "Laptop Music", so evidently it will search for known file types, kind of like the Gallery seems to.

OP
bvjens31

bvjens31

Reaction score
I had loaded about 3-4 Mb of music from my OG Droid in various albums with some songs not in any particular folder, and the default app found them just fine. I had placed them in a folder called "Laptop Music", so evidently it will search for known file types, kind of like the Gallery seems to.

Yes, and my stock music app is picking up all the songs that I've copied onto the sdcard, but it just can't seem to find my "offline" google music songs. I have ensured that all songs have been 'pinned', but the stock music app doesn't display them. I'm wondering if the Google Music app stores its songs in a location that is sort of off limits to the stock music app. Anyone know? Kind of a bummer.

UPDATE: I think part of this has to do with a file named .nomedia in the Google Music cached music folder. I am redownloading all my Google Music now (since I accidentally deleted them all while mucking with this) and I will remove that .nomedia file and see if my Google Music songs will start showing up in stock Music app. Will update again in a bit.

UPDATE 2: Nope, no dice. Even if I remove the .nomedia file located in /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/ the songs will still not show up in my stock music app. Guessing that the stock music app does not look for media in that folder, what a shame. Looks like the only way to get Google Music (purchased from the market) to show up in stock music app is to use Astro or other means to physically move the mp3s to a different folder to get them to show up in your default music library, and then you have to rename the file and change the ID tag since it's all blank and stock app won't know what the heck it is. Bummer!!!

Last edited: