Empty Trash E-mail?

LouS

Reaction score
I am using the stock e-mail client and when I read a message, then delete it, it goes into the Trash folder and stays there until I manually delete the messages in the Trash folder. Is there any way to set it up so it empties the Trash folder automatically?

TIA...

OP
LouS

LouS

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but actually I do not have hardly any issues using the stock e-mail client. So I guess the issue I have is one I will have to deal with if I want to keep using it...

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you read the issues? The stock email client's database eventually becomes corrupted and it sends out random emails (even from other accounts, even if you've deleted the messages).

Even without the database corruption it sends out what looks like complete gibberish to some email clients, and it stops polling randomly. That's not even scratching the surface of the problems with it.

Use it at your own risk. You can quickly empty the trash by deleting your account from it and re-adding it.

OP
LouS

LouS

Reaction score
Dude, yeah I read some of the issues. I don't seem to be having these...yet. If I do, then I will look at another e-mail app. I just asked one question and from your response, I got the answer. Thanks.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to save you the pain of random emails getting sent to your wife, girlfriend, boss, whatever. Keep using the stock app. I don't care.

OP
LouS

LouS

Reaction score
I appreciate you lookin' out for me dude.:) BTW, I tried K-9 right off the bat when I got my DX because of all the bad things I heard about the stock e-mail client. I did not like it. For one thing, when I read one e-mail message, I do not want to automatically go to the next one. That was a major annoyance with K-9 (to me anyway). I have 3 e-mail accounts I am using with the stock app and I like having 3 different e-mail icons/accounts for each that the stock app lets me have.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
What do you mean it automatically goes to the next message after you read an email? How does it know that you read it? I'm being serious: I don't know what you mean.

You can set up an icon on your home screen for each account with the stock app? I didn't know that.

OP
LouS

LouS

Reaction score
Well maybe I'm not describing it correctly and it's been a little while so I'm going from memory. I know that when I tried to use K-9 for my comcast account and I had, let's say, 20 e-mails in my inbox. When I would go to the inbox, I would have a list of the 20 e-mails and when I touch the first one, read it, then delete it, it automatically opens the next e-mail for reading. I think I could back out to the list after reading a message, but if I delete a message while reading it, it will pull the next message up for reading. I didn't like that.

With the stock app, I can't set up an icon on my home screen for each account, but I can put my stock messaging icon there and when I click on it, I have 3 different icons for each of my e-mail accounts. Coming from my BB Storm, I had my e-mail set up that way on that device and I like it that way...

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, there's an option in K9: Global settings > Return to list after delete, which it sounds like you would want to be CHECKED. This might be a new option. I'm not sure.

As far as the icons for each account, I don't think that's possible with K9. You can see each account separately, but K9 doesn't have a widget to take you directly to that view. There's a push to have K9 develop a widget or allow others to develop widgets for K9 so hopefully this'll happen soon.

There is an app called MailWidget that might work for you, but I haven't really tried it.

OP
LouS

LouS

Reaction score
Didn't know that option existed. I do like the separate icons though. I may look at this again if the stock app becomes a problem. Thanks...