Email vs Message Notification Sounds

pjjameso

Reaction score
How do you assign a different sound to a message notification vs an email? Is it possible to assign different message notification sounds by the person who sent it?

tgambitg

Reaction score
If you want a separate notification sound, you have to set it in each individual application, SMS, Gmail, Email, etc.... all entirely possible with no app required. just go to the notification settings in each application.

lmw94002

Reaction score
I still receive audible email notification even though the settings have it set to silent. I literally have to silence my phone now (and miss phone calls / TXTs) because my phone is beeping 24x7 with email.

Tired of these carrier and android updates that can't even do simple functionality right.

tgambitg

Reaction score
I still receive audible email notification even though the settings have it set to silent. I literally have to silence my phone now (and miss phone calls / TXTs) because my phone is beeping 24x7 with email.

Tired of these carrier and android updates that can't even do simple functionality right.

did you set it in the email app or the gmail app? because both of those have separate settings... I have 2 email accounts on my phone, my gmail, and another one that doesn't go through the gmail app instead going through the email app. I have different notifications for both. the gmail (which gets less mail) gets an audible alert, and the email has just a simple one buzz vibration.

Asphyx

Reaction score

Notification settings are a bit spread out if you didn't know...
First there is the default settings itself in the settings/sound section. There are settings for both default ringtone and default notification
This is basically a global default setting for any app that uses notifications and has them set to send notifications but not configured to use it's own sound for notify.

Then there are settings in the individual Apps themselves. And this is where people get confused.
If you have installed for example K9 Mail to retrieve gmail and set it's notification sound you will probably get TWO notifications for email as the K9 Mail gives you one and then the gmail app also gives you one! Whenever you replace a stock app that uses notifications (such as Gmail and Messaging) You have to be sure to shut notification off on the Apps your not using! (And i configure them to never even look for data just to be sure they aren't doing stuff that isn't needed)

Just find which email app is giving you notifications and shut it off. I am betting you have two email apps and set one for silent but forgot to turn off the notification in another app.

I use K9Mail and handcent for txt and I simply told Gmail and messaging not to notify so that only the apps I am using send me sounds.
And the sound used can also be set different from default in those apps so if you want a different sound for email than txt you do that in the app for that service as well!

Hope that solves your issue!

lmw94002

Reaction score
The account is a Yahoo account. The default settings of the phone for notication ringtone is set to a random choice (there is no "silent" option anyway). For the default messaging application there is TXT, Email, and Social notications settings. I look at the notification settings for email and the ringtone is set to "silent". Looked everywhere for other possible settings and cannot find anything. If the primary messaging app on the phone is ignoring the application specific setting and using the global default (which I will test later), that's just dumb.

sbodell

Reaction score
In the gmail app there is no way (that I can find) to turn off notifications. I know I saw it somewhere (in settings, I think), but for the life of me, I can't find it now.

Please give me a hint.

lmw94002

Reaction score
Ever since the VZ update a few weeks ago my phone has been cursed. Calls sometimes don't ring. Apps don't update. And notifications when things do update go crazy. About ready to switch back to my Palm Pre.

tgambitg

Reaction score
In the gmail app there is no way (that I can find) to turn off notifications. I know I saw it somewhere (in settings, I think), but for the life of me, I can't find it now.

Please give me a hint.

Open up the gmail client, then hit menu, more, settings, click on your account, scroll down to the notification settings header, and click labels to notify, click inbox... and then you can set the notifications from there... convoluted, but it works.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Open up the gmail client, then hit menu, more, settings, click on your account, scroll down to the notification settings header, and click labels to notify, click inbox... and then you can set the notifications from there... convoluted, but it works.

they REALLY REALLY need to simplify this... one of the things I miss about my BB is the ease of setting separate ringtones and message notifications wish android could make it that easy

tgambitg

Reaction score
they REALLY REALLY need to simplify this... one of the things I miss about my BB is the ease of setting separate ringtones and message notifications wish android could make it that easy

as far as I can tell... it's only the client on the D2G that is like this... my old OG droid client wasn't like this, my GFs D3 client isn't like it, my sister's DX client isn't, etc....

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
as far as I can tell... it's only the client on the D2G that is like this... my old OG droid client wasn't like this, my GFs D3 client isn't like it, my sister's DX client isn't, etc....

My bionic its like that may be a gingerbread thing. Still overly convoluted

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums