Email storage on my phone

nanllyn

Reaction score
I wanted to get my email through Google on my phone but I get some emails that I want to keep for a long time, such as recipes, but they don't need to stay on the phone. What do I do to get them off the phone without having to delete them?
I found that when I deleted them from my phone it also deleted them from my gmail online. It's great they are so synced except for wanting to keep some but not on the phone.
Thanks for your help.

drawbridgep

Reaction score
I don't have a droid yet. (sob) But I would think that Droid doesn't actually store any email on the phone itself. Just like gmail doesn't store any email on your home computer. it's just accessing the information on the gmail server. So if you delete a message from gmail it's not just resynching with gmail, it's actually deleting at that point.

Gmail for computers does have an offline option. Maybe there is something similar.

But honestly, I wouldn't delete an email just to save space on the phone, since I don't think it's using any.

y6y6y6

Reaction score
I wanted to get my email through Google on my phone but I get some emails that I want to keep for a long time, such as recipes, but they don't need to stay on the phone. What do I do to get them off the phone without having to delete them?

Gmail uses imap, and that's just sort of the way it works. Deleting on the phone will delete on the server.

But there is a work around. One way to do this is to go to gmail online and create a new label. Then move the mail you want to archive to that label. You won't see the mail on your phone anymore, but it will still be available.

cindyhoskin

Reaction score
I have MS Live (version of Hotmail) as my personal email which is loaded from an exchange server I use for work. I am not deleting the emails but when I read them on my computer it is deleting them from my phone. I have tried keeping them as "un-read" but that hasn't worked. Any siggestions???

JayMonster

Reaction score
I found that when I deleted them from my phone it also deleted them from my gmail online. It's great they are so synced except for wanting to keep some but not on the phone.
Thanks for your help.

Create a label (ie Recipes)

When a message comes in that you want to save, tag it with that label then press "Archive" the message is saved on the server, but does not appear on your phone unless you grab messages with that label.