email now force closing

iron ghost

Reaction score
So beginning yesterday, the stock email client has been force closing.
I can open it, it syncs, and receives new mail, but when I open an email it force closes.
G-Mail is working and I can send and receive emails on there just fine.
I installed a few recipe apps yesterday and have removed those and rebooted the phone, but still getting the same error.

Anyone else having this problem?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
So beginning yesterday, the stock email client has been force closing.
I can open it, it syncs, and receives new mail, but when I open an email it force closes.
G-Mail is working and I can send and receive emails on there just fine.
I installed a few recipe apps yesterday and have removed those and rebooted the phone, but still getting the same error.

Anyone else having this problem?

Just a suggestion, but if by "rebooting" you mean turning your phone off and on, you should also try a battery pull. Not likely to yield a better result but at least you'll have done everything you can do short of a factory reset.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you remove your email account(s) and set it/them up again to see if that helps.

OP
iron ghost

iron ghost

Reaction score
jsh, thanks for the reply.

I did to a reboot and a hard boot/battery pull with the same non working results.

I'll try removing and adding the email accounts next and hopefully that will work.

Riley

Reaction score
This happened to me once with my @ email setup with my work exchange server. I ended up deleting the account and resetting it up, which fixed it. It might have been when our systems forced a password change too, I can't recall.

OP
iron ghost

iron ghost

Reaction score
dangit! removed the account and rebooted. Re-added and still getting the same result.

oh well, I can always our exchange web portal, until it decides to play nice

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
dangit! removed the account and rebooted. Re-added and still getting the same result.

AHA! You didn't mention that you were enmeshed in the dark jungle of EXCHANGE! My condolences. I understand your pain. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that a change on your server is the culprit one way or another. If I were you I'd report your problem to your Exchange Server Administrator. I'm sure he/she will be delighted to hear from you. I know mine is.

zerodamage

Reaction score

I had this happen to me last week. I had to wipe the phone's data directory to fix it.

Riley

Reaction score
Mine just started doing it again here at work. WTF!!!! I'll hav eto ask my IT guy or clear the account cache maybe.

struong57

Reaction score
How do you clear the account cache after removing/deleting the email account?

OP
iron ghost

iron ghost

Reaction score
Found a Fix

Was looking around on some other forums and found this:

try clearing the cache in the Email app. You can do this by starting at the home screen and tap Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage applications->Menu->Filter->All. Now scroll down and Tap Email and then scroll down and tap Clear Cache.

I did the following.

1. Deleted my exchange account
2. Rebooted the phone (manual, not battery pull)
3. Went to Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage applications->Menu->Filter->All Email. Did a Clear Data and Clear Cache.
4. Setup my exchange account

Now everything is working as it should.

Hope this works for the others that are having the same issue as I.

Tyler

miss chris

Reaction score
I have had to do this four times now in the last week. After time #2 I did a factory reset. Any thoughts as to why my email has worked flawlessly since I got the phone in November and now so many problems? TIA! :)

biglipps66

Reaction score
I literally just started having this problem as well. Both corp and hotmail force close when you read items. WTF