2.0.1 Messaging Force Close

Lakerz16

Reaction score
I had my messaging force close... similar to how it did before the 2.0.1 update... except now the force close DELETED all of my messages.

Another small detail that I noticed that may be related to the error is that my most recent e-mail said it was unread, despite having read it earlier.

The force close deleting all of my messages seems like a MAJOR problem, especially if it is common.

Dowa

Reaction score
I had my messaging force close... similar to how it did before the 2.0.1 update... except now the force close DELETED all of my messages.

Another small detail that I noticed that may be related to the error is that my most recent e-mail said it was unread, despite having read it earlier.

The force close deleting all of my messages seems like a MAJOR problem, especially if it is common.

This exact same thing happened to me and my Moto Droid today. I am highly upset :mad:( anyone know if there is anyway to retrieve these lost messages?). Although I have read that another user called their local Best Buy, where they purchased the phone, and was informed that this is not normal. Also, Best Buy replaced their Droid... but still this really sucks. :(

JayMonster

Reaction score
It sounds like that database that is storing the messages got corrupted. Some possibilities that can cause this. using Advanced Task Killer or some other app that kills processes (I am really starting to hate those apps) or having message threads that are longer than the settings for Text Message Limit (by default it is 200 messages for SMS and 20 for MMS), exceeding those limits may cause database problems as well. I'm sure there are other possibilities, but those are the two likeliest.

cookiemomster

Reaction score
I have no clue how to solve that. I use gmail so it is still all online. I also use google backup which saves all my pics, texts, etc. On another thread someone mentioned their sd card spontaneously wiped so I have gone ahead and dropped a copy of my sd card onto my pc, just in case. I feel real fortunate since I haven't had any major problems.

veronica_713

Reaction score
It sounds like that database that is storing the messages got corrupted. Some possibilities that can cause this. using Advanced Task Killer or some other app that kills processes (I am really starting to hate those apps) or having message threads that are longer than the settings for Text Message Limit (by default it is 200 messages for SMS and 20 for MMS), exceeding those limits may cause database problems as well. I'm sure there are other possibilities, but those are the two likeliest.

The messaging app also force-closed on me the other day for the first time. When I brought it back up, all messages were gone. I don't use any task-killing programs, and did not have any limits set above 200 for SMS or 20 for MMS. It didn't happen to me before the update, and until now, hadn't happened at all.

Has anyone discovered any other reasons yet as to why this might happen? Does anyone know if there's a way to save all of your messages to the SD card so they can be retrieved it if happens again?

ohsototallyretro

Reaction score
My Motorola Droid is also force-closing my messaging. It started a few days ago. It force-closed my messaging and deleted my messages. It has deleted my messages 3 times now. (I don't have any task-killing programs on my phone and I had less than 200 messages in my inbox.) Now I'm currently unable to view any messages what-so-ever. Every time I try to open my messages, it just says force-close :/

This is so frustrating.

ataris_kid

Reaction score
Posted this in the other thread about this problem as well.. My Messaging app crashed, and upon restart all of my messages were gone. Basically the same issue everyone else here is experiencing. Would love any ideas as to what would cause this. Not that I'm particularly concerned with the actual data in the text messages.. But I don't like the idea of a program crash deleting information from the internal phone's storage... Sounds like trouble.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I am just curious. How many of those experiencing force closes have MMS attachments when it crashes? It was a big issue back in WM 6.1 where corrupted MMS messages would crash Pocket Outlook, and sometimes even reboot the phone. The LG Dare had issues with this as well.

Perhaps corrupt MMS are corrupting the message store? Just a theory.

daisyduke2222

Reaction score
messaging force closingy

My phone did the same thing and it was when I left my messaging open. Turn off your phone, remove the battery, wait ten seconds then put it back in and turn it on. Next call *228 wait for the instructions, press one and your messaging should come back (takes abt 1 min.) Hope this helps someone!

mtoejr

Reaction score
My phone did the same thing and it was when I left my messaging open. Turn off your phone, remove the battery, wait ten seconds then put it back in and turn it on. Next call *228 wait for the instructions, press one and your messaging should come back (takes abt 1 min.) Hope this helps someone!

I tried it... didn't do a thing :( Still don't have any of my messages back.

Adriana

Reaction score

So are you saying that it's better not to have the advanced task killer or anything like that? How about the antivirus?

JayMonster

Reaction score
I don't have anti-virus on mine, but only because I haven't seen a compelling case for it. Otherwise I have no opinion one way oh that other. Task killers however I think are the absolute worst apps on the market. Not hat they are bad per se, bit they tend to do more harm than good, and there is simply no reason for them. Killing a task while it is writing to a database is a surefire route to corruption and problems. Android handles memory properly... let the OS do its job and you will wind up with less headaches.

mtoejr

Reaction score
I don't have anti-virus on mine, but only because I haven't seen a compelling case for it. Otherwise I have no opinion one way oh that other. Task killers however I think are the absolute worst apps on the market. Not hat they are bad per se, bit they tend to do more harm than good, and there is simply no reason for them. Killing a task while it is writing to a database is a surefire route to corruption and problems. Android handles memory properly... let the OS do its job and you will wind up with less headaches.

if you don't recommend task killers what do you reccomend to speed up a slugish system.. Mine gets so slow that it wont load the home screen and i have to reset it. :( But back on subject. I was not using task killer or anything that could have killed the messaging app when All my messages were deleted. I did have the limit raised to 300... but if Moto knows this is a problem why cann't they come out with a patch for it or at least get rid of the option to raise it??

crzykarl

Reaction score
i'm having the same issues with my phone. i didn't have any pic messages nor did i have more than 100 total messages in my messaging when it foreclosed bout 10-20 times before it deleted everything. I've only had the phone for about a month so I'm still getting used to it. and there is an app that u can backup your messages on its SMS backup and restore

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
From what I understand the way that the Droid's system is set up there is no no need for the task killers. When I first got my droid I had ATK. I started noticing many of the issues you all are experiencing. I removed the ATK and notice an increase in speed and less f/c's. I also do not use the stock text app or the stock email app. I found those to have issues and I personally got really frustrated with them. I now use K-9 for my emails (love it, no f/c's) and I use Handcent for texts. I have used both of these for several months and have no complaints. I also do use a anti virus app on my phone. I know that some will say that it is not necessary but with the amount of internet that I use, I would rather be safe than sorry. I have not experienced any issues related to the anti virus app either.