Email not synching after inactivity

WD Allan

Reaction score
When, in 2012? lol

Yes, December 2012.

LOL, I had that coming didn't I?

Today, or this morning actually when I turned my Droid 2 on, it refused to boot and froze with the Motorola "M" on the screen for 10 minutes. To get it going I had to pull the battery, wait 30 seconds and then re-install the battery and restart it again. Then it started up.

Funny thing...

"THEN"... the emails started to pour in! After I pulled the battery. I took it to the Verizon store and had it swapped out for another one that they tested and made sure was working. The sales Rep was a nice woman but her manager looked at me like I was speaking Greek when telling of the problem, they said they weren't aware of any issue. I informed them that the Verizon Rep from corporate had revealed that both they and Motorola acknowledged that a problem was existent and that it was being worked on. No response except I was told I might want to try a Blackberry if only email was my problem.

I love my droid so no deal! I took the swap and all day the new one is working like a charm! :)

We'll see! *fingers crossed*

Artex88

Reaction score
I am now on the Droid Pro (switched from my Droid 2), and I can say with great confidence that nothing has changed. SAME EXACT ISSUE on a different Motorola Droid phone. It's as if emails will only sync when I go into the corporate email icon, outside of that, it will just ever pull the emails (or have them pushed, either way). I can let it sit on the home screen, unlocked, with no email notifications of any kind (no light, no sound), but when i click on the icon, they come pouring in.

My best guess at this point is that this is either due to our Exchange 2003 server (though I'm fairly sure others are seeing this on 07 servers), or this phone just plain does not fully support AciveSync. I have tried every trick listed in this 4 page post, with no success.

Also Verizon's only response to this is to download Touchdown, at an extra cost, which is the worst support I've ever heard, considering every other add on the tv/radio is for a Verizon Motorola Droid phone. Though maybe it's in the small test that Touchdown is required for corporate email... though I doubt it. So for now it looks like I'm stuck listening to my coworker mock my email woes with his perfectly functioning (though keyboard-less) HTC Increadible... ugh.

... and what is the use of a goddamn dancing banana emoticon anyways!?!
icon_%20banana.gif

Haha, whatever.

Viktorr

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone here has set up a custom power profile and set the data sync to never shut off. Haven't seen it mentioned by anyone as trying it yet. Personally, I've not yet had a problem with my email not syncing except when in a very poor service area (I go to my dad's house regularly where signal is very poor).

ITPurgatory

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]After waiting for a reasonable competitor to the iPhone on Verizon's network for almost 3 years, our company tested, purchased and deployed 5 Motorola Droid 2 devices to our partner group. Our initial tests discovered this problem within days. I reported this problem to our corporate Verizon sales representative on 8/18/2010 where, like all other non-sales issues in the last 5 years, it was promptly ignored.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Quote from 8/18/2010 email:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Droid2 I have been testing at least makes calls at my house. More often than not, it fails to connect to any data network there. The ‘push’ capabilities of the phone seem to really be fetch regardless of settings. When leaving an area of no coverage and traveling to another, if you do not try and ‘read’ your mail, it will not synchronize what has occurred in between. Getting contacts and calendar to synch is a similar crap shoot. I’ve found that if you notice much missing, remove that item, reboot, add item (contacts), reboot. It will probably show up. I can’t say that I am impressed after waiting since November of 2008. I can see the flakiness of ‘Corporate Synch’ upsetting the partner group who will be receiving/activating these phones this weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Fast forward 4 months as several partners have missed important emails or had emails composed on the device sit without being sent for long periods. This bug in Motorola's Corporate Sync software is beginning to affect our business.

Our server environment consists of Exchange 2003 SP2 and has been working as an ActiveSync frontend for compatible smartphones for the last 4 years. Windows Mobile, iPhones and even a specific Nokia device exhibit none of the problems we are experiencing with Android based phones. Several employees with Droid devices other than the Droid 2 are seeing similarly flaky email synchronization.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After more than 3 hours on the phone with 2 Verizon Business Data Accounts representatives, who spent at least 1.5 hours talking to Motorola, this was the response:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Quote from 1/6/2011 Verizon support email:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have spoke with 4 representatives at Motorola which is listed below and it was stated to me that this is a known issue this is also stated on [FONT=&quot]http://www.droidforums.net[/FONT] the options that was given to me by Andre (motto tier 2) were .. master reset, deleted and re-add exchange, or 3 party app[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]**FYI we also have this same issue at vzw and per management we use "touchdown" and have no issue [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]David - tier[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anthony - tier 1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark - tier 1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Andre - tier 2 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After the less than stellar response from Motorola via Verizon, I took the opportunity to forward my experiences to a Verizon ‘Executive Relations’ email list, the FTC and the FCC. This email definitely stirred a hornet’s nest within their management circles but has resulted in no technical fixes for the problem. The response from Verizon has been days of asking questions such as ‘is data push enabled’. Only after several days of emails/phone calls are they beginning to take this seriously enough to assign an engineer to the task.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have tested Touchdown as a possible solution but cannot really recommend it in our environment at this time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Tasker application was also demo’d to toggle ‘Airplane Mode’ as a workaround but this also had less than predictable outcomes over the test period.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Let it be known that Verizon and Motorola are very much aware of this problem!!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any lawyers interested in starting a class action?

---------
Update on 02012011
---------

After three weeks of waiting to be put in contact with an escalated engineer at Verizon (6 months after initial report of bug), I have received this via the engineer from Motorola.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting Motorola Mobility for your syncing problem with the droid phones. Motorola development team is currently working on getting the PUSH on corporate sync resolved and tested.

The scenario that you described below perfectly fits the problem that is being investigated for the upcoming software update. In the mean time,
I would recommend that customer stays on the FETCH 15 min schedule; it seems to be more reliable than PUSH.

As it goes to the phones that are mainly affected are DROID X and Droid 2. You also mention the Droid, this phone should not have any problem s with Push.
If you need additional information, please feel free to get in touch with me.

Thank you,
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Andy
Motorola Mobility[/FONT]

Last edited: