Email addresses in text messages

imnu

Reaction score
Hi all

A friend has a Galaxy S6. He uses the stock(?) email app for accessing his hotmail account.

If he receives a SMS with an email address in it, clicking on it brings up a new screen asking him to select an email account type (imap, yahoo, gmail, outlook, exchange etc).

If i select outlook and enter his details, it throws up an error message, suggesting that he contact technical support.

How do I tell his phone to simply open the default email app?

OP
I

imnu

Reaction score
go into settings, apps, click on the email app and scroll down to defaults

Thanks, I did that, clicked on the email app, told it to clear defaults and can see no way to now set is as the default.

I went back to SMS and clicked on an email address and was presented with the same "select/enter an account page" yet again. I had hoped that clearing the default would ask me if i wanted to use the stock email client,

Is it safe to assume that most Androids know that they should fire up an email client if someone clicks on an email address in an SMS (without the owner having to do anything else)?

BTW, thank you for taking the time to help me. Much appreciated, cheers.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When I receive an email address in a text (SMS) message and click it, I am presented with the "Which App To Use" screen. Not sure why you are not seeing something like this? Maybe the defaults are in tour SMS app and not the email app? Did you clear defaults for the SMS app?

17531d3b4dee9e9a84b0aa9001ec1133.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
I

imnu

Reaction score
Thanks Sajo, I will try that and see what happens.