eLocity A7 Tegra 2 Tablet Shipping now.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I love mine. I am currently running TnT Lite 2.4.0 with all the market and Flash goodness along with LPP and it is HEAVEN. Prior this I was running CM 6.1b4 and it was nice but I found TnT Lite to be more stable. I am considering giving VEGAn a try but I am just so damned happy with my current ROM.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
I've got the Archos a70 and love it... this guy makes me wonder a bit though.

My a70 has Market access also, this tab ships with GetJar access... definitely not as cool. The specs sound okay though, maybe I'll trip to BJ's to see if they've got one sitting out for a hands-on.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I was running TnT-Lite 2.2 but switched to VEGAn Beta3 last night to try it.
Initially I liked Tnt-Lite better.....but VEGAn is growing on me. It's definitely more AOSP "like" as the settings menu is what you see on your phone, etc...

Both are nice....not sure which I would personally say is better right now.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Initially I liked Tnt-Lite better.....but VEGAn is growing on me. It's definitely more AOSP "like" as the settings menu is what you see on your phone, etc...

Hrmph... thanks for making it easy on me! :icon_evil: I so wanna try VEGAn but right now this thing is running so damned smooth and setup just the way I want it I can't bring myself to try it out. Unless there is some huge difference in features/performance. Ugh... now if we could only get Viewsonic to drop the source for this thing so we can get some really sharp custom kernels and AOSP builds I would be even more happy.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Too bad you have to be a member of BJS other wise you have to pay a 15% surcharge in order to use a one day pass on top of the $299. If start the checkout process, you are then told that a 5% surcharge will be applied to non members. I think I'm going to give them a call and see which surcharge is accurate.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Just an FYI but I'm back on TnT-lite. VEGAn was nice but I kept losing the market and would have to "fix" it almost every reboot of the tablet and sometimes right after using it and then going back in.......

TnT-lite never did that for me.....did a restore and all is good, reboots and all.

Hrmph... thanks for making it easy on me! :icon_evil: I so wanna try VEGAn but right now this thing is running so damned smooth and setup just the way I want it I can't bring myself to try it out. Unless there is some huge difference in features/performance. Ugh... now if we could only get Viewsonic to drop the source for this thing so we can get some really sharp custom kernels and AOSP builds I would be even more happy.

hec

Reaction score
Got one of these for xmas to compare with my SGT, which I'm likely sending back; now I'm just trying to decide whether this baby's good enough to keep. I'm not an Android pro, so my perception is limited at this point, but I think it's got potential.

Primary likes:

- Froyo (pre-rooted, though I'm not proficient enough to take advantage of this yet)
- Tegra 2 CPU
- USB host port (my Sony thumbdrive worked just fine with it)
- Stereo speakers on either side of unit _in landscape_ (unlike SGT, where they're oriented for portrait - FAIL)
- Screen res, 800x480, = greater app compatibility vs higher-res...for now, anyway
- HDMI (1080P) port = don't have to buy dock, unlike SGT
- Price, $300 from TigerDirect ($350 now) = cheaper than my SGT and no monthly service fee; this may be the anti-deal-breaker for me
- Actually available, unlike Archos 70, which I couldn't find anywhere

Primary dislikes:

- No multi-touch (it's capacitative, but only single-touch); this may be the deal-breaker for me
- Buggy out-of-box experience; the 12/24 firmware patch fixed issues (Wi-Fi being most critical for me), but the process wasn't very convenient or automated; at least it added all of the apps they offer for download from their site
- No GApps pre-installed (haven't found out yet how to install, either); I want Market! (any help would be appreciated in this regard)
- Screen quality is noticeably inferior to SGT; poorer viewing angle, color contrast/saturation, touch response, etc. Also, the lower res = less viewable info on screen (e.g., when web-browsing) and being stretched to 7" = edges aren't as smooth.
- Wider, longer, thicker, heavier than SGT = a bit less portable
- Only 4GB of storage, and no included SD card (I have extras, so no biggie)
- Won't be holding my breath for accessories, e.g., cases, dock, etc. any time soon

I haven't had time to run any benchmarks or test battery length, but initial impression is that it's actually not quite as snappy as the SGT (prolly needs better-optimized drivers, which I'm sure is just a matter of time), and the battery drained suprisingly quickly, dropping suddenly, vs more linear drop on SGT; again, better optimization should take care of this.

Well, I hope this was a good use of my first post. Howdy and cheers to all!

DroidxRage

Reaction score
I've got the ElocityA7, we just got market working in the past few days and there's actually a rom out now that is a simple update file. ElocityMod on xda.

I'm selling my Archos in favor of this. Little less polished, but loving the tegra 2!

luckem

Reaction score
Gps

Has anyone tried using a bluetooth or usb GPS add-on? The elocity website indicates the device doesn't support GPS, but I would think it is possible.