Editorial/Rant: Ingress Level 8 Agent Reporting. Has Ingress Lost It’s Flame?

AndroidDissected

Authorized Affiliate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.androiddissected.com
IngressHeader.jpg

“The world around you is not what it seems. Our future is at stake and you must choose a side.” So goes the introduction to Google’s augmented reality game, Ingress. Introduced and unveiled late in 2012 and still in the invite/beta stage. Ingress is Google’s GPS location based massive capture the flag Android game (although there are talks of it going to iOS as well). Briefly, Ingress centers around three groups, The Resistance, The Enlightened and The Shapers. The Shapers are an alien entity that the Resistance believe have arrived on earth to take control of her. The Enlightened believe the Shapers have come to help mankind repair the world we have so savagely destroyed.

(Continue Reading @ Android Dissected)

Mark_V

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G4 Plus
As a lv8 player myself it has lost a little pzazz. But only because I don't have an obvious goal of 1.2 million AP.

I've realized that my role / only role as a lv8 player is to work with other agents. I need to recruit new agents, help people level up, and make lv8 portals.

Besides Google getting all kinds of info back from me I think the game was made to help people work together for a common goal.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Also an 8. Not as fun when I was all concerned about getting AP. (That article is old, btw... from May).
But still fun. Made some good friends. Am a total bad ass now.
I really just concentrate on making really big fields now.

Yellowhammer

Reaction score
I live in the woods. I downloaded the game, walked around my yard during "training", all while my wife looked at me like I had gone nuts. Gave up.

Mark_V

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G4 Plus
I live in the woods. I downloaded the game, walked around my yard during "training", all while my wife looked at me like I had gone nuts. Gave up.

Do you go anywhere where there are items you can submit as portals?

HERE is the list of portal criteria. This is also something that I failed at in the beginning. I was bummed out because I had to drive several miles to my nearest portal. Now I have a farm of 16 portals < 1 mile away.

The game will not come to you. You must go to the game. Submit anything you might be a portal. Worst happens it gets turned down.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm just 300k short of lvl 8 and while I still find the game fun and have met some really awesome people I find some of the arbitrary restrictions a bit frustrating.

it takes 8 lvl 8s to make a lvl 8 portal BUT in my area there are only 5 of us enlightened who regularly play in our area and a ton of smurfs. it's still fun it just gets frustrating sometimes for sure.

azules9780

Reaction score
It lost it's luster for me because I never could get an invite! It's been in beta for too long and the invite process blows.

acousticshade

Reaction score
It's a decent game, but still one dimensional. Although there have been some good additions of late, many cool suggestions seem to be ignored (more options for leveling players, crafting, different types of portals, etc). I hope Niantic is working on some of these for the future, otherwise it's essentially a capture the flag game.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
One thing that's made the game far more fun for me is working with the other faction to AP boost then leaving the area neutral. It's the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do and IMHO it shows Niantic that this isn't just their game

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
We all have invites that will get you into the game today. I have at least 2 I can spare. Send me a PM if you want. But you must join the Enlightened. hahaha (j/k)

doniago

Reaction score
I just recently joined the game as Enlightened, and was a bit disappointed to see that the Enlightened have basically already locked down the entire local area. Thought about switching sides to make things more interesting, but the game recommends not doing that and says it would take 2-3 weeks to process...and I'd lose all of my progress...which was a bit disappointing.

I wish I'd been able to view the map before I picked a side.

It's also a bit discouraging when you're L1 and everything you see around you is L6+.