Easily Flash Android N Dev Preview 3 To Your Nexus 6P Without Wiping Data!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

For the developer previews leading up to a final release of Android N Google has made it incredibly easy to install and try out. Simply join the beta and the preview builds will install OTA like any normal update. The only drawback is you need to be running the stock recovery. This means ota preview builds will be a no go for anyone on a custom rom or anyone with a custom recovery installed.

RootJunky has put together a stock image you can flash in fastboot from any build which won't wipe your data! The normal flashall.bat direct from Google won't flash. Tom has fixed this too. Head to the link below find your device and then grab the N build for your device.

Nexus 6P N Dev Prev 3

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Ugh. So you can flash back to M without wiping?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Yup. Just don't flash user data.img

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
But can I take the OTA to get started and then just do this flash to go back if I find bugs that I can't work through, or should I flash the N preview with this method to start?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
But can I take the OTA to get started and then just do this flash to go back if I find bugs that I can't work through, or should I flash the N preview with this method to start?
You could do that. Opting out is what wipes the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Right, but only if you install the update it sends. What if I flashed back to m & then opted out? Now I'm kinda curious.

It sends the N update when you opt in, but would it send it if you've already flashed N to the device?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk