E-Mail Exchange Question

Jages16

Reaction score
So I declined getting a blackberry from work, but am having an issue. I have been trying to get my exchage e-mail on my Droid for weeks and now it's time to ask for help. I can see what my exchange server is, but it's .local

DOes anyone know how to go around this to make it work? And don't say ask your IT, because I'm not supposed to be getting mobile e-mail, but it would make my life a heck of a lot easier. Thanks!

Grabraham

Reaction score
So I declined getting a blackberry from work, but am having an issue. I have been trying to get my exchage e-mail on my Droid for weeks and now it's time to ask for help. I can see what my exchange server is, but it's .local

DOes anyone know how to go around this to make it work? And don't say ask your IT, because I'm not supposed to be getting mobile e-mail, but it would make my life a heck of a lot easier. Thanks!

Does you company allow you to connect to OWA (Web access?)

If yes, try that servername

OP
J

Jages16

Reaction score
Grabraham, that's what I thought was the easy solution, but we don't have OWA. I did ask that question to IT :(

Grabraham

Reaction score
Grabraham, that's what I thought was the easy solution, but we don't have OWA. I did ask that question to IT :(

You are probably spit out of luck then as far as directly syncing with the server if they do not allow pop3 or imap from the internet, your only option may be to forward email out to Gmail or another external account

OP
J

Jages16

Reaction score
I figured I would be out of luck, but was just hoping that maybe someone smarter than me could help. Oh well.

Droidnotberry

Reaction score
I use the app "Touchdown" on our exchange server with no problem. It syncs contacts, email, calendar etc. works flawlessly.

Go on the marketplace and search for it, or do a search on this site for reviews.

Good luck

ps: the app is installed on your Droid, not the server. I was able to ditch my blackberry because of this app.

kylo77

Reaction score
All of the exchange email clients I have dealt with require OWA access. This allows you to sync calendars and contacts as well as email. It's not hard for IT to enable. It also saves them money for having to support BB services and licenses.

Grabraham

Reaction score
Sounds like the company has a corporate policy and is setup to support BB's while setting up is not anything that is hard for IT to handle they might have 'not handled it' on purpose ;)

modette

Reaction score
I guess it depends on your position in the company but I would not hesitate to give the IT department feedback and maybe the President on how it will help you do 'more work' on your off time. Saves you time that you are working from having to delete hundreds on emails that really mean nothing on the companies time. Also lets you still contact other company employees on your off time to give input and to keep touch with vendors or customers while outside of the office.

If you do not give feedback don't expect the company to ever improve.

cj1896

Reaction score
I struggled with this but agree you need OWA access to your exchange account. You can't access it remotely through a browser at all? That was how I got mine set up, I just used the remote access address (which was abbreviatedcompanyname-exch-01.companywebsite.com). It worked and I didn't have to call my IT.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you're out of luck and Touchdown isn't going to help if you don't have OWA or ActiveSync available.

I guess it depends on your position in the company but I would not hesitate to give the IT department feedback and maybe the President on how it will help you do 'more work' on your off time.
Sounds like they've already settled on the BB as a company standard.