DX Stuck in Recovery on every boot, SBF and update.zip not working. Suggestions?

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to say I had originally posted this by accident in the wrong forum, my apologies, if a moderator could remove the twin post that would be great.

Alright guys, I've got a DX I'm fixing for someone. He brought me the phone and showed me what's going on with it. To my knowledge, this was a stock phone, but I'm taking his word on that.

When the phone is booted up, it will go into the stock recovery every time. Naturally, I tried getting into the bootloader, no problems there. So since I knew I had the recovery and the bootloader, I was pretty confident I get this thing SBF'd back to stock. There were a couple of things I noted BEFORE I started the SBF back to stock 2.3.340.

Upon boot, when the phone enters recovery mode <3e>, there are already a couple of cache errors that show up before I've even pressed a key. At the bottom of the screen in yellow letters I'm getting the following:

E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/command
E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

Doesn't sound too good, seems like the recovery might be corrupted somehow, but then again I don't work with the stock recovery personally so I'm not really sure.

At any rate, I went ahead and flashed the stock 2.3.340 sbf on it with RSDLite 4.9, no issues at all. Everything checks out, and I get a PASS at the end. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same results on startup.

I've done a lot of hunting around but haven't really found much on the cache errors that were particularly helpful, especially not for the Droid X.

I then tried using the maderstock update via the sd card instead of using the sbf. I then get this script in yellow letters:

--Install from sd card...
Finding Update Package...
Opening Update Package...
.Verifying update Package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation Aborted.
E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

SO that's what I'm running into. Suggestions are welcome on this one. I'm getting the feeling that these errors are pointing me towards the fact that this phone may have been previously rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery but now it may be too late anyway. Thanks for all the help in advance!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First I would recommend charging the battery. 2nd is your phone running gb or froyo.

OP
technogeek1984
Reaction score
That's just the thing, I'm not sure what version he was on, he doesn't even know himself. I have no idea if he was Froyo or GB, and then beyond that I have no idea if he was stock or rooted. I believe what happened was he got in over his head thinking he could just do whatever he wanted to the phone and messed it up. Now I'm trying to sort it out. Haven't we all been there? Hahaha....

huskur

Reaction score
I tried a few times with RSD lite 4.9 and had a somewhat similar thing happen. As soon as i SBF'd back using RSD lite 4.8 i was back to stock with no issues. There are known issues with RSD 4.9 (even though it says "pass" it is truly not so)

Try RSD lite 4.8 and see what happens

OP
technogeek1984
Reaction score
I have fully charged the battery using my DX and am now attempting to flash the 2.3.340 SBF again with RSDLite 4.8 instead of 4.9. I will report back with the results ASAP. Thanks for all the quick responses folks I really appreciate it.

OP
technogeek1984
Reaction score
Full battery and RSDLite 4.8, still getting same result on flashing the SBF. Same Cache errors as well. Am I wrong or does it seem like the recovery is corrupt? I've also wiped it with the factory data reset and cleared the cache just to make sure nothing was lurking from the old stuff. Maybe I should try a GB sbf and see what happens... I dunno. This one's got me stumped.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had an issue with a dx not taking the full sbf, do a system sbf then wipe data and cache . If it fails again then do it one more time. I had to do a system sbf twice before it fixed my dx issue.

Sent from my ADR6400L

OP
technogeek1984
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I do have the system SBF now, so I'll do that, then wipe, then use the SBF that you linked. I appreciate the help once again. I will report back with my results as soon as I get this done.

OP
technogeek1984
Reaction score
Well, after doing everything over as prescribed, I get the same old boot into the stock recovery. I believe this phone may be a brick. I hate to think that would be the case given I can get into the bootloader, but I even tried the GB sbf and I get the same result. Something in there isn't registering. At any rate, many thanks to all of you for contributing on this with me, I really appreciate the help and the fact that you all took time out of your day to offer advice. If any of you need any help or just another pair of eyes on a problem you're having, please feel free to hit me up. I love this forum.