Dvd & vhs

venajan

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a combo unit that will copy VHS protected tapes to DVD? I OWN many old tapes that I want to preserve onto DVD - and most combo recorders can't get past the VHS tape (Macrovision?) copy protection. I'm not doing anything illegal - I purchased ALL of these VHS tapes want to make a copy for myself.

FATRAY

Reaction score
Go to best buy I'm sure they will have at least 10 different hardware/software tools to do this. Do you have a video input on you're graphic card. Chances are you do, then you have a whole new free world to look through. Best bet head over to doom9.org

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

D

dvdcatalyst

Is anyone aware of a combo unit that will copy VHS protected tapes to DVD? I OWN many old tapes that I want to preserve onto DVD - and most combo recorders can't get past the VHS tape (Macrovision?) copy protection. I'm not doing anything illegal - I purchased ALL of these VHS tapes want to make a copy for myself.

I actually had someone contact me a few days ago who was doing that already. He purchased VHS tapes on yardsales, and turned them into DVDs. I'll ask him what he is using.

Card

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with the Droid, or with cell phones in general.

But anyway, most electronic big box stores sell devices that will do this. I had one made by Pinnacle (if I remember correctly) that was essentially a hardware A/V input to USB converter. It came with software to digitally record to your PC anything that's plugged into the Y/R/W AV connector. Obviously, it only records at 1X speed. But it seemed to do a decent job. From there, I bought ConvertXdvd (www.vso-software.fr) and burned all my digital copies to DVD. Pretty simple, if time-consuming process.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This will not land you in jail... it sounds like what you want to do is make a single personal copy of each video to DVD... this is NOT illegal. A single personal back-up copy is covered in the fair use rules. Just don't make several copies or try to distribute/exhibit them, and you don't need to worry about the law. Making a back up copy of media is NOT pirating, and the courts have recognized this. You will need a DVD Recorder, and, Grex video stabilizer to transfer your VHS media to DVD.For real – I have never seen a quicker or easier method .

I agree. Let's take a torrent of a download of a tv program you missed last week. If you simply download the torrent then watch it and delete it, no harm no foul. If you distribute the torrent, then you are breaking the law.

Now since most of the applications for downloading torrents start to upload what you have immediately before the torrent is completed. Now I'm not an attorney but it would seem to me that at that point you are breaking the law--even if you haven't even completed your download yet.

I've downloaded torrents of shows I have missed, but as soon as the download is complete I stop it from distributing, upload it to my TiVo and delete the show from my computer. But I probably have already broke the law.

I would prefer not to have to do this but watching a show on my computer from the website just isn't the same. Besides, I'm always a month behind in my viewing so it may not even be on the website when I get to it.

xan

Reaction score
if nobody uploaded torrents, there wouldn't be any downloads available anymore.

"momma told me not to be a leech."

at the OP, i use a quality rf signal booster to allow copyrighted vhs signals to get down long cable runs, it should also work for dubbing too.