Duplicate contacts in Dialer

Dreambuilder

Reaction score
I use the Dialer One app and Handcent on my Moto Droid and when I type in a phone number or name two identical listings for almost every contact show up, but when I open up the contacts app (stock app) everything is perfect, no duplicates.

Any Ideas on how to fix this? It is not a major issue, but it is very annoying.

Thanks

Taegost

Reaction score
Hrmm, do you have multiple contacts in your GMail contacts online? They may be merged together in the stock contacts app, but Dialer One may see them as the same.
Holy crap! I just looked and I have one contact that shows up over 20 times in Dialer One, before it crashed... When I look at that contact in my Contacts, it says "No additional information available" and doesn't even show the name...
On my Gmail contacts online I have the phone number and address...
I suspect that the phone book is corrupt on my part, probably part of the Facebook issue I was having last week...
In my case, I think I'm gonna wipe and re-download my contacts!

OP
D

Dreambuilder

Reaction score
I do have my phone linked to two gmail accounts and a lot of the contacts are the same in both accounts. Still, why would the stock app be able to recognize that the contacts are the same and Handcent and Dialer One not be able too?

XtremeAaron

Reaction score
Handcent has the ability to pull numbers/contacts from social networks, for example if I have the option enabled in handcent, everyone on facebook who has listed they're number will show up.

Just an idea.

jamesrgeib

Reaction score
Dreambuilder,

A similar thing happened to me when I got my original phone replaced, except that I had 2 duplicate contacts per entry. In other words, for each person in my contact list, they were somehow in there three times.

I logged on to my gmail account on a desktop computer, and went to contacts and searched for duplicates. Gmail will automatically merge duplicate entries from there.

Hope that helps.

Taegost

Reaction score
I do have my phone linked to two gmail accounts and a lot of the contacts are the same in both accounts. Still, why would the stock app be able to recognize that the contacts are the same and Handcent and Dialer One not be able too?

I'm actually still dealing with the issue I described above that I didn't realize I had until I tried to test my theory about merged contacts :)
Even after wiping my phone completely, I still have an issue with the contact list after it gets pulled up with certain contacts, specifically the one I mentioned above.
So, it wouldn't surprise me at this point if something more dastardly is going on!
Oh, and I do agree with you that the other apps should be able to handle merged contacts properly, but I can't quite test that theory out right now :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm actually still dealing with the issue I described above that I didn't realize I had until I tried to test my theory about merged contacts :)
Even after wiping my phone completely, I still have an issue with the contact list after it gets pulled up with certain contacts, specifically the one I mentioned above.
So, it wouldn't surprise me at this point if something more dastardly is going on!
Oh, and I do agree with you that the other apps should be able to handle merged contacts properly, but I can't quite test that theory out right now :)

Are you handling this from gmail on line? If not, that's where you should handle it.

Taegost

Reaction score

Are you handling this from gmail on line? If not, that's where you should handle it.

Yeah, I've looked at it in GMail, it all looks fine up there for the records... And I found that the one I know I have an issue with will eventually show me the phone and address if I look it up in the stock contact app and wait about 10-30 seconds... All the other records that I've looked at (Which is not all of them... I have 403 contacts) gives me the info immediately...
I'm gonna play with it some more tonight after everyone leaves and I'm the only one stuck here at work :)

Taegost

Reaction score
Holy crap... This deserved a completely separate post:
I found the problem, and you're right, I have to go online to fix it... The contacts in question are duplicated many times, some of then over a hundred times each... I didn't notice it until I realized I could delete them from the phone... Then I suddenly got a message "There are too many deletes, 346, what do you want to do?"
That's when I looked at my Gmail account and I see "My contacts: 247" "All contacts: 1538"...
Strangely enough, it *only* affected companies that were marked in the "Business" group that have an address and their name appearing in the "Company" box online...
This should get interesting :)

UPDATE: I fixed the problem... I had 5 contacts that were duplicated about 300 times each. I was able to delete them from the contacts in my phone (I had to baby-sit it because it would tell me there are too many deletes and ask what I want to do... and it kept crashing) but I finally got them cleared out, and I re-entered the 2 I wanted to keep... All the ones that got jacked up were originally entered in Outlook, sync'd to my old WinMo phone, after reformatting sync'd back to Outlook, then archived and pulled out later for an export/import to GMail. Man, talk about not knowing you have a problem until you try to help someone else!
To Dreambuilder: Moral of this story is that even though your contacts merge on the phone and you only see one in the stock Contact list, Dialer One does in fact see them as separate contacts. In your situation, your only options are to merge the contact lists together into one so you don't have multiple contacts, or send an e-mail to the developers to have the update the apps so they can take advantage of the contact merge feature :)

Last edited: