Dropped data connection?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Off topic but @jntdroid how are you liking the Rezound? Still getting dropped data as much as your Bionic?

luvDroidh8droid

Reaction score
I feel like they are trained parrots, the only response they can muster up is an excuse that their was an "outage."

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jacobjer

Reaction score
I have the same issue w/ 4G in my area. I completely lose it and it reconnects in a few secs or a min. No know reason and not often enough for me to complain

cmorty72

Reaction score
My Razr has been going strong since the 10th, until today. And of course, Verizon is saying that they're having an outage and are working to resolve this issue (hopefully they're for real, but I doubt it).

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Known issue. Motorola will be releasing an OTA fix. My friends happens after making a phone call. if you don't rush to start a browser or Market search too quickly after, the network comes back. Also read to turn off wifi and wifi notification.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

DJTaT2

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a thunderbolt and I am experiencing an outage as well, there was a similar issue back in may that only effected 4g devices whether they were on 3g or 4g and there was a special numer you could dial to get to the internal part of yourphone to switch it to regular 3= service til they get it fixed.... ill see if I can find that thread for you as I need it too for the time being

cmorty72

Reaction score
Known issue. Motorola will be releasing an OTA fix. My friends happens after making a phone call. if you don't rush to start a browser or Market search too quickly after, the network comes back. Also read to turn off wifi and wifi notification.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums
Yes I know it's a known issue. I was just stating the fact that I was having the same issue as everyone else.
BTW, where did you hear that Moto was sending out a firmware fix via ota (please don't say a Verizon rep told you, they're as reliable as an elevator in an outhouse)?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The main page of the forum there is an article about an upcoming OS update that is said to fix that issue, supposed to be coming early December. But again that could be speculation and nothing to hold your breath about.

OP
Chocula78

Chocula78

Reaction score
I have a theory about the 4g data connection problems.

I think the threshold of 4g signal at which the phones are supposed to switch from 4g to 3g is set too high. Verizon, in all it's dumbassery, made these phones to switch to 3g when the 4g signal reaches a certain level (when 4g signal is weak). However, they probably made this 4g weakness threshold as low as possible because they are trying to push 4g like a snake oil salesman so that 4g phone owners can brag about how awesome 4g is to their friends. Setting a low 4g threshold means the phone is forced to use 4g whenever possible.

Well this threshold is so low that the phone just assumes it has zero signal of any kind and just goes into a battery saving mode where it stops searching for a data network. Hence everyone's issue. A OTA update will raise this switching threshold level so that the phone knows to use 3g more often.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I read the OTA will be early December. As fast as your theory, I don't know, lol. How do you explain when you set it to 3g only and it happens?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

OP
Chocula78

Chocula78

Reaction score
I read the OTA will be early December. As fast as your theory, I don't know, lol. How do you explain when you set it to 3g only and it happens?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Yeah, I got nothing on that one.

atlrus

Reaction score
I have a theory about the 4g data connection problems.

I think the threshold of 4g signal at which the phones are supposed to switch from 4g to 3g is set too high. Verizon, in all it's dumbassery, made these phones to switch to 3g when the 4g signal reaches a certain level (when 4g signal is weak). However, they probably made this 4g weakness threshold as low as possible because they are trying to push 4g like a snake oil salesman so that 4g phone owners can brag about how awesome 4g is to their friends. Setting a low 4g threshold means the phone is forced to use 4g whenever possible.

Well this threshold is so low that the phone just assumes it has zero signal of any kind and just goes into a battery saving mode where it stops searching for a data network. Hence everyone's issue. A OTA update will raise this switching threshold level so that the phone knows to use 3g more often.

My theory is similar to yours, only on the phone side, rather than the network.
I am thinking it's something really stupid and obvious in the code for switching from 3g to 4g and vice versa (with my Bionic).
I don't know about actual code, but the logic would be something like this:

{
If 4g signal strength => 95db - turn 3g OFF 4g ON
If 4g signal strength <= 95db - turn 4g OFF 3g ON
}

and for those of us being in the exact 95db area the phone doesn't know what to do. It certainly looks like that in my case, since when I loose 4g I simply stay without data for 10-15min until 4g is picked up again.

I have no issues when I put the phone in 3g-only. As a matter of fact, this week I "caught" my Bionic switching to CDMA-only by itself a couple of times. It happens sometime in the middle of the night - the next day I would have a full-bar 3g all day, thinking "about time they fixed it", lol. Until I go downtown where I know the 4g is super-strong and my phone would still be on 3g. Suspicious I would open the network settings only to find out that my phone somehow all by itself switched to CDMA-only. It did it two days in a row, now I am all paranoid checking the network settings every morning :)

Last edited:

cmorty72

Reaction score
I was told by the tower techs in my area that it's an issue with the transceivers in the towers. They aren't properly shielded from outside interference (this was an issue in Las Vegas, NV. for a while with the AT&T/Cingular towers, hence their crappy service). But in all honesty... who knows. :icon_ nono2:
Chocula78's theory is the best I've read yet.

atlrus

Reaction score
I was told by the tower techs in my area that it's an issue with the transceivers in the towers. They aren't properly shielded from outside interference (this was an issue in Las Vegas, NV. for a while with the AT&T/Cingular towers, hence their crappy service). But in all honesty... who knows. :icon_ nono2:
Chocula78's theory is the best I've read yet.

I don't buy it. I have no issues with my Tbolt (or any 3g phone). If it was a tower problem it would've affected my TB, not just the Bionic.