Drop-in Docking interfaces on Droids

amn70

Reaction score
I can't understand why nobody makes a drop-in style dock with a built in USB interface for the Droids. It would be nice to be able to simply drop the phone into a cradle and have the USB connector engage. Something similar to the IPhone docks but without the proprietary interface. That way you don't have a cable dangling that you have to plug in each time. If they had positioned the headphone jack on the same side as the USB port they could even design it so that you would have the option of having the headphone jack engage as well if say you wanted to pipe your phones audio thru the AUX input common on most modern factory and aftermarket stereos. Then you can integrate your Droid cradle into your car and simply drop the phone in. Putting both these connectors on the bottom of the phone would even be better or maybe have 2 sets. A set on the bottom and a set on the side. That way they could design docks to cradle the phone either standing up like the IPhone or on its side, GPS style.

I also noticed the Incredible puts the volume control on the same side as the USB port whereas Motorola appears to have put the volume on one side and the usb on the other which, if such a dock was made, is better because on the Incredible putting it in the dock would block the volume control but on the Moto it wouldn't. Just some ideas I was thinking about

OP
A

amn70

Reaction score
Oh ok, I stand corrected on the Moto. However on the Incredible there is still the issue of the volume control being blocked if such a cradle is created for it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If they had positioned the headphone jack on the same side as the USB port they could even design it so that you would have the option of having the headphone jack engage as well if say you wanted to pipe your phones audio thru the AUX input common on most modern factory and aftermarket stereos.
...or a sturdy dock connector, considering how common headphone jack issues seem to be on the Droid.