DroidX 2.2.1 Unroot / Upgrade / Re-root

djplazma

Reaction score
I'm sure this has probably been covered before, so if it has been please send me in the right direction.

DroidX running 2.2.1 (Froyo), and rooted. (every day I tap "Install later" when the "time to upgrade" pop-up makes its annoying appearance...for over a year)

I'm also running a custom ROM (DarkSlide).

I figure it's time to get current, but I have a couple of questions in this regard:

After I get current (Gingerbread), will I still be able to root to get all nifty and everything again? The main things I don't want to lose are Wireless Tethering and Titanium Backup).

So, making a slightly educated guess, please tell me if I'm close:

Unroot
Return to stock
Upgrade to GB
Re-root.

I'm sure Z4 Root will unroot, but I'm sure I need to return to stock to upgrade to GB. The biggest mystery is how to get back to stock.
Once I do get back to stock, (and go through the laborious task of initializing the device again), is Z4 Root the key to re-rooting?
Will Wireless Tether run on GB, or will it require a patch or fix?

I do have Titanium backup, which I read is essential to success.

One last question: Blur or Non-Blur? I'm looking more for performance than features, so I assume that non-Blur will give me better performance, but what would I be losing if I chose that over a Blur ROM?

Sorry to sound like so much of a noob, but I'm the kind of user who gets his phone the way he wants it and doesn't touch it for a (very long) while.

If anyone could lead me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks, in advance, for any assistance offered.

clueless77

Reaction score
Taking the upgrade will unroot, no Z4 will not root on gb, you will need to Google the Motorola one click root method, there is a new wireless tether I believe from wugfresh just Google it, and the cm7 for gingerbread is a very good start as far as ROM as is concerned you can find that on rootzwiki

Can't think of anything else at the moment

BAD ASS X

Savagerun

Reaction score
At this point your probably better off just doing a sbf and rooting your phone again. Easiest way is using the 1KDS 4.5.602 root iso, that will get you on the latest Gingerbread and root your phone. Here's a link http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/d...-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html then you'll need to get droid2bootstrap from the market. Droid 2 bootstrap works great on gingerbread. If you want cm7 you wouldn't need wugs tether patch, you can wireless tether without it. Like clueless said it's a nice rom. Here's a link to it http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10191-updated-info-on-revnumbers-cm4dx-gb/

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Savagerun

Reaction score
And to add to what i previously posted i prefer some blur and would recommend liberty if you decide to go that direction so here's a link to that http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10655-rom-liberty3-v20-for-the-droid-x-1128-sunday-bloody-sunday/ for liberty you would need to install wugs tether patch to be able to tether http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/g...8-wugpacked-gb-tether-patch-all-one-zips.html but with cm7 you could just use this tether app http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

OP
D

djplazma

Reaction score
EXCELLENT information! I've downloaded this .iso and am writing to disc right now. Thanks, both of you, for the excellent, helpful information. I'll be going with the root .iso (ingenius!). I'll run rooted stock for a couple of days and then go with a custom ROM.

Wish me luck!

Savagerun

Reaction score
Great idea running stock rooted gingerbread for a couple days that way you can read up on the roms available. Some people jump in head first then end up in trouble lol... I've been guilty of that myself but reading and understanding is the key. Good luck to ya....

OP
D

djplazma

Reaction score
Yea, I figure I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew right off the bat. I'll get used to GB for a few days, get the feel of it, and then dive into a custom ROM. I will admit to an interest in CM7, though...but baby steps.

OP
D

djplazma

Reaction score
Funny, I was in the process of doing exactly that when you added that reply. Thanks!

Actually, I plan on doing nandroid before I do the upgrade to GB, and then again before I apply the custom ROM. Best to have a place to go back to if anything happens along the way.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Ok cool you got it handled. I've been saying to get droid2 bootstrap but you can use droidx bootstrap if that's what you already have. You'll just need to go in your settings > applications > development and make sure usb debugging is unchecked before using it while on gingerbread. That's why droid2 bootstrap is recommended on GB you just leave usb debugging checked.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm sure this has probably been covered before, so if it has been please send me in the right direction.

DroidX running 2.2.1 (Froyo), and rooted. (every day I tap "Install later" when the "time to upgrade" pop-up makes its annoying appearance...for over a year)

I'm also running a custom ROM (DarkSlide).

I figure it's time to get current, but I have a couple of questions in this regard:

After I get current (Gingerbread), will I still be able to root to get all nifty and everything again? The main things I don't want to lose are Wireless Tethering and Titanium Backup).

So, making a slightly educated guess, please tell me if I'm close:

Unroot
Return to stock
Upgrade to GB
Re-root.

I'm sure Z4 Root will unroot, but I'm sure I need to return to stock to upgrade to GB. The biggest mystery is how to get back to stock.
Once I do get back to stock, (and go through the laborious task of initializing the device again), is Z4 Root the key to re-rooting?
Will Wireless Tether run on GB, or will it require a patch or fix?

I do have Titanium backup, which I read is essential to success.

One last question: Blur or Non-Blur? I'm looking more for performance than features, so I assume that non-Blur will give me better performance, but what would I be losing if I chose that over a Blur ROM?

Sorry to sound like so much of a noob, but I'm the kind of user who gets his phone the way he wants it and doesn't touch it for a (very long) while.

If anyone could lead me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks, in advance, for any assistance offered.

I did this a few months ago after i got my GNex.

Note you dont have to delete your apps but i did.

I used Z4Root to unroot and deleted all my apps. Then i used 1KDS ISO to flash stock 2.3.340. i then took the OTA to 4.5.602 and rooted using Petes 1 click root: http://www.psouza4.com/Bionic/

H
ere are instructions at DXF: [ROOT][HOW TO] Win/Linux/OS X [Latest DX .602/.605]

OP
D

djplazma

Reaction score
Ok, I'm up and running on GB and doing system updates now. Is there a recommended rooting method, or would you suggestion following one of the two methods that are on the CD I wrote (per Savagerun's suggestion)? Also, I already have Droid X Bootstrapper, but you recommend Droid2 Bootsrapper over it?

MANY thanks for everyone's help/suggestions. It's been a) easy and 2) uneventful (whew!)

Savagerun

Reaction score
You can use either the d3 one click or zergrush to root. Zergrush is the newest way but either will work. I posted info for you about the bootstrap you may have missed it so go back a couple posts you'll see it.

OP
D

djplazma

Reaction score
OK, I'm up and running and rooted! Thanks to Quicksilver for the lead on the root procedure.

Jim is a happy guy once again.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Nice job. Which method did you use to root?