Droid's Android 2.1 Update: Full of Multitouch (and Some Disappointment)

Foolish

Reaction score
Apple only charged 10 dollars to ipod owners. Iphone users get all updates for free. I have to agree with nevadascott its starting to get ridiculous. So now we miss a few things out of an os but what happens when 2.2 comes out or 3.o are we gonna get half that O.S. as well? Is there ever going to be two google phones with the same O.S. on it? I mean that's just ignorant. People with original iphones can do everything that a 3gs can do, provided its not a hardware issue, except send mms. I'm calling shenanigans, everyone grab there broomsticks

Guchi

Reaction score
a month ago everyone was SCREAMING wheres the update ALL I CARE ABOUT is MULTI TOUCH they need to hrry and get that out or this phone is a FAIL now they are about to release that and more and everybody is pissed????

Papasmurf

Reaction score
You can have a phone or any type of electronics be perfec@t and someone with always find something wrong with it and complain. I know things are never perfect but they can do a job right. If they were perfect you wouldn't need the R & D department.

Wintrmte

Reaction score
I really hate to say this, but this really IS why the Iphone has an advantage. The updates are global to the equipment, not who makes the phone. This is the same regret I had as a Blackberry user.

Apple wants $10 to upgrade to 3.0 software, what a ripoff. :rolleyes:

This is only if you own an iPod Touch. If you own the iPhone, the 3.0 upgrade is free..

Rettocs

Reaction score
a month ago everyone was SCREAMING wheres the update ALL I CARE ABOUT is MULTI TOUCH they need to hrry and get that out or this phone is a FAIL now they are about to release that and more and everybody is pissed????

People can never be happy with what they are given.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
BT is like flash, would have to be dev'd by moto for the HW, and possibly integrated into the OS IMO ... I wouldn't expect it coming from Android itself.

Besides, after using my phone on AUX with the stereo, my BT earpiece is collecting dust now :)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
This article makes a REALLY good point:

" Hate to say it, but this feels like even more Android fragmentation. Is anything—even the damn OS—ever gonna be the same between two phones again? Jeez."

It's REALLY stupid for Android phones to be competing with each other over the OS and 'basic' features... the average phone user will see this as a huge turn off not to mention it will seriously hurt the phone manufactures and the carriers after a while if it's not brought under control (and SOON)...

Say what you will about WM phones or the iPhony but there is consistency in both features and support which is what's most important to the average consumer. The main deciding factor when you by a WM phone is the form NOT the FUNCTIONALITY... With the exception of a few minor things all WM phones have the same features so you know what your getting AND that (as long as it's a newer phone) your phone will be supported and updated by M$ (through your carrier)... Google had some leeway at first (and has a little left) being that these were niche devices being used/adapted by techies that understand (and even expect) the development hiccups that come with a new entry/tech but that niche is filling and these hurdles will not be tollerated or accepted by the bulk of consumers. As much as I love the phone and like the concept I'm a bit doubtful as to Google's strategy and ability to get things under control.

Last edited:

rkeller62

Reaction score
This article makes a REALLY good point:

" Hate to say it, but this feels like even more Android fragmentation. Is anything—even the damn OS—ever gonna be the same between two phones again? Jeez."

It's REALLY stupid for Android phones to be competing with each other over the OS and 'basic' features... the average phone user will see this as a huge turn off not to mention it will seriously hurt the phone manufactures and the carriers after a while if it's not brought under control (and SOON)...

You all seem to think Google is behind all of this. They are not. They release the source code to the phone manufacturers and they are the ones to decide how, or even whether, to provide the update for their phones. Some people will see this as a weakness. I choose to see it as a strength. no way you can get a customized user experience on an iPhone. HTC has Sense, Motorola has MotoBlur, Acer has their "Enhanced user experience", etc...

Regarding the 2.1 launcher and 3D app drawer, IF it is not in the Droid's 2.1 update 1 software, I would be willing to bet it is because they felt that had to release the update now because of all the whining for it and could not get these functions stable enough. I tried the Sholes 2.0.2 ROM and the launcher and app drawer were constantly causing Force Closes on my phone. After I went to the standard home (which DID have 5 screens BTW) the number of Force Closes I had dropped dramatically. This tells me there is still much work do be done on the launcher/3D app drawer.