Droid3 / Verizon / BOGO / HELP?

xjeff99

Reaction score
Hey. Been lurking for awhile. I have an OG Droid and was able to do an early upgrade to get the Droid 3 yesterday for $199 plus $20 early annual upgrade fee plus taxes. I am the main line on my family plan with 2 other lines on it (one other OG Droid not eligible for upgrade and one non-smartphone (mother)).

I'm aware of the BOGO deal and even asked if I could do it, even though the other 2 lines aren't up for upgrade. They told me no (this was also the Retentions department as I have trouble with Cust. Serv. so I asked to talk to them).

Anyone have any options for me on what to do? Would it be wise to just add another line for $9.99 a month to my family account just so I can take advantage of the BOGO D3? I would then give that free D3 to the other OG Droid on my family line, and then just have that 4th line not in use? Do you guys think it's worth it?

Thanks in advance, I love all the advice, tips, etc. I've read on here over the last year.

nednarb

Reaction score
$10 month x 24 months = $240.00

Is another droid 3 worth $240.00 to you. You paid almost that much for the you bought. If the other person on your plan wants it then its not a bad deal. you don't really get the deal of BOGO, but your way better off then paying the retail price of $460.00 for the phone.

Silver Member
Reaction score
wait, you paid $20 to upgrade early? when do the other phones come up for renewal?

imo paying $10/mo for the next 20+ months is a stupid idea. you need to do the math on that one.

OP
X

xjeff99

Reaction score
Yeah I was grandfathered in to one more Early Upgrade (1 year Annual upgrade), but there is a $20 charge on that.

I know the $$ in the long haul would equal out to $240 or so, which is still cheaper than the D3 retail, but how much am I going to notice an extra $10/month for the next 2 years compared to how great a phone the other line is getting (coming from an "about to die" OG Droid)?

I just was looking for some input from anyone out there that has done this in the past, are currently doing it, or know any information about the best way to go about doing it.

Thanks for the responses!

spikejnz

Reaction score
I bought the D1 the day it came out, and my wife and I both got a D3 last week on the BoGo. Perhaps Verizon just isn't offering it to you because both lines aren't up for upgrade yet?

OP
X

xjeff99

Reaction score
I bought the D1 the day it came out, and my wife and I both got a D3 last week on the BoGo. Perhaps Verizon just isn't offering it to you because both lines aren't up for upgrade yet?

Yeah I know that's the problem, we bought the D1's last summer, so she isn't due for upgrade until Feb 2012, whereas I got my early 1 year upgrade right now.

nednarb

Reaction score
i added an extra line back when my wife and i got the d1, and you don't really notice the $10.00, but you are paying and need to keep track of what you are going to end up paying total.

i know my wife wouldn't be thrilled if i got a d3 and she didn't. that why i was very happy to get two d3's for $150.00 from vzw last week.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yeah I know that's the problem, we bought the D1's last summer, so she isn't due for upgrade until Feb 2012, whereas I got my early 1 year upgrade right now.

If you would have said, "if I can't get us both an upgrade, i'll be sad to inform you i'll probably be looking into another phone carrier.". Then they would likely work a deal with you to keep you. Plenty of people do it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums