Droid X2 rebooting problem, please advise..

Palantirion

Reaction score
My X2 is caught in the infamous (to several Droid models) reboot loop. This happened fairly suddenly after a couple of years of dependable service. I have considered that an app may be at fault, but no app was recently added immediately preceding the problem. I did learn a few odd things that seem different than other Droid owners' experiences as reported on the forum.

1) It reboots right about the time it should be finished initializing the SD card after startup of the OS.

2) The first time I removed the SD card it booted up just fine and stayed that way for at least an hour. Then I put the SD card back in and rebooted. It went back to looping. I removed the SD card and rebooted and it still looped!

3) After rebooting in safe mode the loop continued.

4) Considering this may be a battery issue (and without a new battery) I tried plugging it into a charger. That did not help. BUT then I tried the USB charger on my computer and it stayed on! I was able to browse the SD card, etc. (Note: All chargers I have are OEM Motorola.)

5) I got a new battery, and it did nothing to resolve the issue.

6) I put the phone on the USB charger again and checked the SD card accessibility. It was set to "charge only" and I changed it to "Generic USB Drive" and then back. This seemed to work as the phone stayed on for days off the charger!

7) But then I had to reboot because the phone seemed to lose its signal. And after the reboot it started looping again.

8) I put it on the UBS charger again and it kept looping! I checked the settings and changed it to "USB drive". Then I copied everything I could off the SD card in expectation of reformatting it. The phone seems pretty stable in "USB drive" mode but will reboot loop in "charge only" mode.

Note: I am not running any ROMs. I believe the Android version I am running is 2.34, but would need to fire up the phone to be sure.

I have not tried a factory reset yet, as it may require extensive rebuilding of my folder system, and it didn't seem to help others with this problem. I suspect the problem is related to the SD card, or perhaps an app on it, since the reboot seems to happen right after the SD card is initialized. So before I am forced to do anything drastic, can you guys please advise me on what step I should take next?

OP
Palantirion

Palantirion

Reaction score
178 views with no replies? Someone please help...