Droid X vs Droid 2

s4bill

Reaction score
As you can see this is my first post. I know very little about the droid platform.

My daughter wants a Droid X for her 16th birthday. She is pretty fired up about it.

It is not until September so I have some time.

Is the Droid 2 an upgrade from the regular Droid X or are they 2 different platforms.

The only thing I can determine is the keyboard.

I understand that this hasnt be released but is there any leaked info that would indicate if it is an upgrade to the X.

Thanks
Bill

leadhead

Reaction score
From my understanding the Droid X is superior from a hardware standpoint. However the Droid 2 would have a QWERTY keyboard. It's really preferences unless you're daughter is a hacker or a gamer and needs more RAM and a faster processor. As they both run android the phones will be very similar software wise

SR20S13

Reaction score
From my understanding the Droid X is superior from a hardware standpoint. However the Droid 2 would have a QWERTY keyboard. It's really preferences unless you're daughter is a hacker or a gamer and needs more RAM and a faster processor. As they both run android the phones will be very similar software wise

no the droid 2 and droid x will have the same hardware (processor and what not) if you were talking about the Motorola Droid(1) then yes but from what we can guess the droid 2 and droid x will be the same

leadhead

Reaction score

no the droid 2 and droid x will have the same hardware (processor and what not) if you were talking about the Motorola Droid(1) then yes but from what we can guess the droid 2 and droid x will be the same

I thought the Droid 2 was supposed to be clocked at 750mhz and the Droid X was 1ghz

Darkseider

Reaction score
The Droid 2 and Droid X are identical in internal hardware. The difference is that the Droid 2 will be almost the same exact form factor as the original Moto Droid w/ a refined QWERTY keyboard and the same 3.7" screen. So there ya have it! Oooh and it will ship with Android 2.2 by default.

TekHawk

Reaction score
The Droid 2 and Droid X are identical in internal hardware. The difference is that the Droid 2 will be almost the same exact form factor as the original Moto Droid w/ a refined QWERTY keyboard and the same 3.7" screen. So there ya have it! Oooh and it will ship with Android 2.2 by default.

and most likely not have blur on it right?

Darkseider

Reaction score

and most likely not have blur on it right?

There is no real way to know. My guess is that it is going to be Vanilla Android just like the original Droid was but don't quote me on it.

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
Also, the Droid X has a better camera, larger screen, and is thinner than the Droid 2.

Mojo

Reaction score
The X will also be more focused on mutimedia as well. It will have a HDMI out and DLNA support. I do not belive that the Droid 2 has that

jonnybgewd

Reaction score
IMO get Droid X (gonna more capable probly). the droid 2 seems like a droid just a smijin prettier.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
As you can see this is my first post. I know very little about the droid platform.

My daughter wants a Droid X for her 16th birthday. She is pretty fired up about it.

It is not until September so I have some time.

Is the Droid 2 an upgrade from the regular Droid X or are they 2 different platforms.

The only thing I can determine is the keyboard.

I understand that this hasnt be released but is there any leaked info that would indicate if it is an upgrade to the X.

Thanks
Bill

Here are the differences for determining what your daughter preference would be.

Droid X:
4.3 inch screen
9.9mm slim
No hardware keyboard
Light
Great use as a media device (HDMI to plug into your TV set, DNLA, Blockbuster and soon NetFlix, etc.)
8MP Camera and shoots 720p HD video

Droid 2:
Good physical keyboard (Can be good for gaming and/or heavy texters)
3.7 inch screen
A little better design upgrade from original Droid
Stock Android 2.2 (FroYo)
Most likely will have a large support from Moto/Verizon/Community

But other then that, they are more of the same. They operate nearly the same.

Hope that helps figure out what might be best for your daughter. :)

Zandar

Reaction score
Just as an aside, I really don't think the Droid 2's physical keyboard can be reasonably seen as an advantage for heavy texters/emailers. The Droid X (and, presumably, the Droid 2) comes with Swype, and as many have attested (myself included) the physical keyboard becomes somewhat superfluous after learning Swype; unless you're a heavy gamer.

My wife is a prime example. She is by no means a "techie," but she has ditched the keyboard on her Droid for Swype (I installed it for her; she has no desire to mod her phone :wacko: ).

That being said, I don't see any advantage for the Droid 2. It's smaller in some dimensions, but bigger in others so that's a wash. The Droid X has a better screen and more features (such as HDMI output). I'd say go with the X; she won't be disappointed.