Droid X UID errors & unable to reset

wisequack

Reaction score
Hey,

I've tried to Google my way to freedom on this issue but no dice. The past couple weeks my Droid X (still under manufacturer's warranty if necessary) has been glitching heavily, giving me constant force closes, infinite loop resets, and generally being useless. Eventually I started receiving errors about my UIDs being Inconsistent (followed by an epic number of force closes).

From the research I've done the best way to fix the UID Inconsistency is a Factory Reset of the phone. So I tried that with great sadness. And failed. As soon as I attempt to reset it, the phone would restart to just like it was on July 4th (including the GPS location - I was driving that day :p). I tried doing that through the software (with phone on) and through hardware (power + home). Every time it pops up with the familiar background and GPS location. I called Verizon to see if they could flash it, and they said they couldn't and that I should call their customer service to get the phone replaced. Of course that requires a phone that doesn't cut out of phone calls every 20 minutes so I can get through the hold time. That is still an option (I think), but I'd prefer to fix it myself if at all possible; I like this phone (the hardware anyway), it's shiny. I tried using the method described in this site: Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems to flash the phone myself (to FroYo, using the Windows USB option). The program seemed to work, but then when I actually restarted the phone it shows the same stupid opening screen.

I'm at my wit's end, and yes I know I can get the phone replaced, but failing that: anyone out there have any suggestions as far as resetting my un-resettable phone (or another way to deal with the UID error)?

Thanks a ton if you do.

OP
W

wisequack

Reaction score
Update: I've discovered that sometimes when my phone resets itself, it comes to a screen that LOOKS like a factory resetted screen ("Welcome to Droid X! Click the android to continue" or something to that effect). However, when it reaches this screen, it has a cascade of System UID Inconsistency errors that crashes the phone and resets it ad infinitum. Soo close. Please, anyone? Any ideas on the System UID Inconsistency or the resetting? It seems like my phone's state has been saved in a way that I can't wipe it... Surely there must be some way to fix though.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sounds like you got a bad update.. you're stock you said???

Sorry.. new phone or rooting are your only steps.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
W

wisequack

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a bad update.. you're stock you said???

Sorry.. new phone or rooting are your only steps.

Stock, yes (I haven't rooted it, I mean). I just realized I was trying to load an old sbf that might not have been compatible since I took an OTA update, trying to flash the OTA sbf (so many acronyms :p) right now. Will reply if it works. (Otherwise any other ideas would be welcome.) Is rooting possible without using the phone? Not sure it's stable enough to download much of anything.

Ooh, SW Update in Progress... That's different. More later.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You might have solved your own issue with the update.

OP
W

wisequack

Reaction score
Various errors in RSD Lite: "Interface AP-OS: Error verifying Code Group ## checksums. File: 0xXXXX, Phone: 0xXXXX"

Still waiting to see how bad it's gonna hurt :p

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wait RSD lite... what are you using a deviation calculator for??

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Clear data on that app, or delete it and reinstall it..

OP
W

wisequack

Reaction score
Wait RSD lite... what are you using a deviation calculator for??

?? :p

I'm nowhere near an expert but isn't RSD lite used to flash SBF files? That error was I think after the SBF was supposed to be installed, it was checking for success. Said it failed. Rebooting phone and it came back to July 4th data again.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Roflmfao... I'm sorry.. I'm in left field.. then if your flashing... you're rooted I believe.. I don't root so I'm not the one to be helping you lol. I'd get you into more issues lol.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Droid razr maxximized!!!! Prepare to be vanquished!!!

OP
W

wisequack

Reaction score
Does flashing require root? I haven't rooted my phone at this point.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think it does..

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As far as I know, yes you have to be rooted to flash ROM's ...

What Android version were you on when you tried to SBF back to Froyo? Gingerbread? I SBF'd my Droid 2 when GB first came out, because I didn't like it, and I only kept GB for a week when I got my Razr Maxx, and I went to ICS. I have NEVER seen a "UID" error, but it sounds to me like whatever you used to SBF back may have been the issue ... did it give you any other errors when you did the SBF? (Other than UID errors?)

OP
W

wisequack

Reaction score
As far as I know, yes you have to be rooted to flash ROM's ...

What Android version were you on when you tried to SBF back to Froyo? Gingerbread? I SBF'd my Droid 2 when GB first came out, because I didn't like it, and I only kept GB for a week when I got my Razr Maxx, and I went to ICS. I have NEVER seen a "UID" error, but it sounds to me like whatever you used to SBF back may have been the issue ... did it give you any other errors when you did the SBF? (Other than UID errors?)

I had heard otherwise on the rooting, but I'll take your words for it, I don't know much about it.

Btw, I just realized I've had the phone for just over a year when this started happening, so whee, no manufacturer's warranty. It's a free-for-all, and rooting is now an option if anyone has any ideas. (Though I'll wait two days before actually doing rooting stuff since I may run by Verizon in person on Friday to give them one chance to flash my phone themselves.)

To answer MattyP's questions, I was on Gingerbread, an OTA update, and accidentally tried to SBF back to FroYo, but the UID errors started way before I even knew what an SBF was (I started trying to Factory Reset it at that point, and when that didn't work tried the SBFs).

No other recognizable errors other than UIDs and Force Closes (just generic "Error" messages with apologies). I just tried the RSD Lite/SBF on a different computer, still no luck. But this seems kinda fun, if anyone has any suggestions I'd be up for being a guinea pig. Might help someone else if not me.