Droid X-TBH App- Is Installing GB a 2 or 3 part process?

rymonkey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
First, just wanted to say thank you to all of you who have helped people like me. Wow, a ton of great guides, YouTube videos, etc, amazing.
After a long first week of exploring the wonderful world of rooting, I am infinitely smarter than when I started, but when you start where I did, you still don't know what the hell you're doing! thx to you guys, I am only mildly android dumb now as opposed to severely. :)
I have searched high and low in order to avoid duplicate thread topics, so please know that this isn't a case of laziness, I can assure you that it is not.
7 days ago, I had literally a thousand questions, today, only one. That is a real testament to the entire Android community and I appreciate the tremendous amt of work that everyone has put forth in order to help the less skilled, namely, me :)

So, w/o further ado, my question
I am running a rooted Froyo, no Rom's, nothing like that, the only reason I rooted in the first place was b/c I found Z4 in the market way back when.
Question
I can't seem to install the rooted GB. I keep getting thrown back into bootloop
Current App's/Tools
RSD Lite 4.8 on W7
Astro
Z4 (installed on my SD)
Droid X Bootstrap
Droid 2 Bootstrap
Maderstock Zip .340 (installed on my SD)
TBH App (installed on SD)
Downloaded via THB App onto SD
Blur Version .2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part 1 TBH App (installed on SD)
Blur Version .2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part 2 TBH App (installed on SD)
DX-Monster .2.3.340 Updater TBH App (installed on SD) ( I don't know why I DL this, but in the interest of full disclosure, it's there)

How & Why
Last Monday I installed the Maderstock .340 zip in hopes of getting back to stock in order to receive the official GB OTA from Verizon. After screwing around in these forums for the last week, I figured out that I was missing the boat and didn't want the official OTA from Verizon. I wanted the rooted GB.
So after lot's of trial and error, I finally got the Maderstock to load properly.
Since that time, I have stumbled upon and tried to install,the rooted GB via the TBH app but w/ no success.
Here is the process I have used on a couple of different occasions so far, only to have to drag out my new favorite tool, RSD Lite

Steps
On Monday,
Rooted via Z4
Installed Maderstock .340 (successfully)

On Thursday
Rooted again via Z4 while still running the Maderstock .340
USB Debugging Enabled
Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery(Not Droid X Bootstrap)
Reboot Recovery
Install Zip from SD
TBH app, Install > Blur Version .2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part 1
Installed, waited for it to complete, immediately went back (power button),
Install Zip from SD
TBH App > Install > Blur Version .2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part 2
Waited for it to install, then went back (power button), and Reboot System. Then, I get the Red M sign, and into the .04 Bootloader. Then it's off to my new bff, RSD Lite!
(Is there any way to get out of this besides plugging my phone in and going the RSD Lite route?)

Everything I have read keeps saying that it's a two part install, which I thought I was doing correctly. Although I have since seen comments made on various boards that hint at a third part of the install. I think I might now what I'm missing but again, I'm really new at this, and therefor, very confused.

My only thought is that this file DX-Monster .2.3.340 Updater, comes into play somewhere in the process. If it is involved, do I install it first and can I then install Part 1 & Part 2 (above files) in the same way that I originally did? Is this the same exact one as the Maderstock .340? Sorry guys, I have total brain information overload.

Where am I screwing up? Thanks for all of your help and I appreciate any feedback you can provide!

2dulu2u

Reaction score
It's 2 part. The third part is the deodexed root, if thats where you want to be. This is the path I took and worked well--

Used TBH 2 part method (make sure your downloads are complete)

Install part 1 and then part 2 in order before leaving recovery!!

1. SBF back to Froyo
2. Enter recovery on first boot after SBF (this is the yellow exclamation)
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Activate phone, but skip the the Google sign in and other stuff
5. Z4Root and install Droid 2 Bootstrap
6. Using Droid 2 Bootstrap, reboot into Clockwork Mod Recovery
7. Install part 1 and part 2 from .596 method 2 (I installed the rooted/unsigned version), do not reboot without applying both
8. Enter recovery on first boot after applying both part 1 and part 2 (Yellow exclamation)
9. Wipe date/factory reset
10. Allow .596 to boot, reinstall Droid 2 Bootstrap, and reboot into Clockwork Mod Recovery again
11. Install .596 deodexed from the TBH method 1, reboot

The first time I did this, the phone didn't feel right so I repeated and now have a happy GB phone.

OP
R

rymonkey

Reaction score
It's 2 part. The third part is the deodexed root, if thats where you want to be. This is the path I took and worked well--

Used TBH 2 part method (make sure your downloads are complete)

Install part 1 and then part 2 in order before leaving recovery!!

1. SBF back to Froyo
2. Enter recovery on first boot after SBF (this is the yellow exclamation)
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Activate phone, but skip the the Google sign in and other stuff
5. Z4Root and install Droid 2 Bootstrap
6. Using Droid 2 Bootstrap, reboot into Clockwork Mod Recovery
7. Install part 1 and part 2 from .596 method 2 (I installed the rooted/unsigned version), do not reboot without applying both
8. Enter recovery on first boot after applying both part 1 and part 2 (Yellow exclamation)
9. Wipe date/factory reset
10. Allow .596 to boot, reinstall Droid 2 Bootstrap, and reboot into Clockwork Mod Recovery again
11. Install .596 deodexed from the TBH method 1, reboot

The first time I did this, the phone didn't feel right so I repeated and now have a happy GB phone.

Awesome, I appreciate your detailed response and will follow your advise. Much appreciated!

sqchram

Reaction score
Yup, that stupid maderstock wasted six hours of my time... had to revert back, then download and reinstall the correct files.