Droid X overheating and rebooting

Fred93gt

Reaction score
I want to factory reset my phone because of overheating issues and rebooting issues. I have seen a few different ways to do whether from the settings menu or holding the power key and the home key I think. My question is which is better?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have always done it using stock recovery, never through the settings. I am sure it would work just the same though.

Turn the phone off, hold the power and homekey until you see a little Android. Then press the search button if you are on 2.2 (Froyo) or press both volume keys if you are on 2.3 (Gingerbread).

Use the volume buttons to highlight factory data reset and use the menu button or camera button if on 2.2 (Froyo) or the power button if on 2.3 (Gingerbread) to select it. After that's done, choose reboot and you are good to go.

LGX v2.4

Last edited:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Settings/privacy/factory reset will do the same thing. It will automatically take you into stock recovery

D2MIUI

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ah, I did not know that. Usually, when I have to use stock recovery, its because I can't get into Clockwork or my phone settings. Like after an sbf.

LGX v2.4

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah absolutely. But, if the phone is working, then privacy/factory reset will do just fine

D2MIUI

pool_shark

Reaction score
I don't see how a factory reset will resolve the over heating issue.

What makes you say it's over heating? All smartphones get warm when in use could be normal.
Are you using an overclock app?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It could be an application that's causing the issue, or oc like Brad mentioned. Wiping data is a start. Undervolting and not overclocking too high could help keep the battery cool (quickclock advanced will calibrate your cpu for you). You can use titanium backup to restore a few Apps at a time (after the reset) to narrow down the culprit that's contributing to the heat.

D2MIUI

pool_shark

Reaction score
That's why I asked questions instead of just giving instructions. I'd rather see if it can be resolved by tweaking or removing an app before performing a factory reset.

OP
F

Fred93gt

Reaction score
It is a stock Droid X, never rooted, overclocked, moded, etc. Running the Verizon OTA gingerbread, never had overheating issues prior to gingerbread. I say it is overheating because it gets very warm and then reboots. I had a Norton's program installed and it showed the temp being 100+ one time. Never had any problems prior to gingerbread and a lot of the posts I have read point to a need to do a factory reset. I also have had programs force close a while after I have used it and even had one force close even though I never opened it after I downloaded it, uninstalled it because of that.

Anywho, my next concern is my apps. I have a lot of them that my 4 y.o daughter likes to play and they were free to download either from Android Marketplace or the Amazon App store. Will I be able to get them back or do I need to download and run a backup program? Have seen Titanium Backup mentioned frequently. I am also thinking of formatting my SD card.

Thanks for the help!:)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get those apps back. You cannot use Titanium Backup since you're not rooted and there is no way to root the OTA.

SSX v2.0

barski

Reaction score
It is a stock Droid X, never rooted, overclocked, moded, etc. Running the Verizon OTA gingerbread, never had overheating issues prior to gingerbread. I say it is overheating because it gets very warm and then reboots. I had a Norton's program installed and it showed the temp being 100+ one time. Never had any problems prior to gingerbread and a lot of the posts I have read point to a need to do a factory reset. I also have had programs force close a while after I have used it and even had one force close even though I never opened it after I downloaded it, uninstalled it because of that.

Anywho, my next concern is my apps. I have a lot of them that my 4 y.o daughter likes to play and they were free to download either from Android Marketplace or the Amazon App store. Will I be able to get them back or do I need to download and run a backup program? Have seen Titanium Backup mentioned frequently. I am also thinking of formatting my SD card.

Thanks for the help!:)

My phone said 114 today, and that was just downloading the latest CM7. As for your apps, you will get to redownload your purchased apps for free. Now amazon app store i have a problem with, I like to get the free app a day and after fresh rom install i want them back but it wants me to pay for them.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
My phone was up to 122* yesterday. It was 100* outside and I was sitting in my truck. Scary, but it survived. Haha

SSX v2.0

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
My phone said 114 today, and that was just downloading the latest CM7. As for your apps, you will get to redownload your purchased apps for free. Now amazon app store i have a problem with, I like to get the free app a day and after fresh rom install i want them back but it wants me to pay for them.

I have flashed several different roms and have always maintained my Amazon apps on both my X and Thunderbolt. I have almost every one of the free paid apps. Something must be wrong with your Amazon account.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
The app mybackup will backup Apps (not data) without needing root. I've heard and read that the ota gives tons of problems

D2MIUI

OP
F

Fred93gt

Reaction score
I've been reading to that a lot of people are having tons of issues with the OTA Gingerbread. I've experienced a few such as overheating, random reboot (usually preceded by overheating), and sever lag at times while at other times it is quite fast. Will see if the factory reset will fix some if not all of the problems.

Keeping my thumbs crossed.

Thanks again for all the help, it is very much appreciated.dancedroid