Droid x OTA GB failing

lldanll

Reaction score
I am trying to install the new OTA Gingerbread release but every time I download the update and the phone reboots to install, the progress bar gets about 50% complete and the phone reboots and says it failed to update.

So here's the history of my phone:

My phone is not rooted and never was. But a few weeks ago I had loaded up the leaked .588 version of gingerbread and have been running on that up until today.

Today I downloaded the 2.3.32 froyo sbf and reset my phone back to that. After finding out that the .32 was not the latest live version of froyo (my bad) I realized that I needed the 2.3.34 in order to get the OTA GB update. I found a 2.3.34 system upgrade sbf file and flashed my phone with that. As soon as I got my phone running on Froyo 2.3.34 I got prompted to download the Gingerbread update. This is where I'm stuck now. I download the file, and it reboots the phone and starts installing the update. About halfway through it will reboot and say that it failed. I have tried wiping the cache and doing a factory reset on the phone to see if that would help. After doing so I re-downloaded the update and I am still getting the same issue.

I am wondering if I am missing some files on my phone since I upgraded from 2.3.32 to 2.3.34 with a system only sbf file. I recall reading somewhere that if you are missing some of the bloatware that they put on your phone in the official releases that the upgrade may fail. Not sure if that is true or not.

I have a link to an official 2.3.34 OTA sbf that I can download to try flashing my phone again but the server it's hosted on appears to be getting slammed or something (downloads at <1kb/s and will take over a day to complete).

Anyone have any other suggestions or know where I can get a good full 2.3.34 sbf or what I should try next?

I am very new to all of this so I appreciate the help.

Last edited:

csimo

Reaction score
Try using maderstock.zip then you can do the OTA.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
I had the same problem and my phone kept booting into recovery mode for the rooted app (forgot the name). Normal data wipes weren't working and allowing this update, but I did a data wipe within the recovery program and downloaded and updated successfully!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
L

lldanll

Reaction score
Thanks for the posts guys but I was finally able to get it working. Last night before I went to sleep I decided to try downloading the full official 2.3.34 sbf file that I talked about in the original post that was downloading ridiculously slow all day long. When I tried it again at like 3am last night the download speed was back to normal and I was able to obtain that copy of the sbf file. I flashed to that this morning and downloaded the GB update OTA and it installed successfully. So now I am on the official OTA GB596 and all is good.

If anyone is having my same issue and wants to get the SBF file I used, the intructions I used were from a great post on these forums: complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

The link to where I obtained the 2.3.34 sbf file is listed in that post as well.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited: