Droid X hotspot and tethering

crimster

Reaction score
Awesome and thanks Way to slide in at the Finish !!! I appreciate the infoemaesheown!!!

NR6Q

Reaction score
20 bucks is for limited amount of data also.

Which seems strange to me when subscribing to an unlimited plan.....

Good old Verizon.

At least that is the way I understand it from talking to customer service.

gg

crimster

Reaction score
so...million dollar question...Does ROOTING allow for unlimited usage online?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes it does. Also@ op, if you want to add wireless capability to your dell you can purchase a usb wifi adapter for around 10$.

Sent from DROIDX using Tapatalk

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Until recently I had been using PDAnet to USB tether my DX to my XP laptop with android 2.1 (works great).

Now that I have 2.2 (froyo) installed, I expected that I wouldn't have to continue using PDAnet (never bought the full version) - since 2.2 was supposed to offer WiFi AND USB tethering.

I found the "3G Mobile Hotspot" app on the 2.2 applications screen, but CAN'T FIND ANY NEW USB TETHER option. Meanwhile I'm still using PDAnet (free version) with 2.2 (still works great).

But I don't want to buy the full version of PDAnet (to get shttp) if there really is a new USB Tether capability built into 2.2.

Can anyone tell me where to find the froyo USB tether option (if it exists) and how to turn it on? Does it require any new software on my pc to use it?

Also, does Verizon have a "switch" on the froyo USB tether so we can't use it without first agreeing to pay the $30/month "tethering" charge? If that's the case I'd rather just pay the one-time $30 for the full version of PDAnet.

spider210

Reaction score
PDA net violates vzw's terms and conditions . It allows you to get service for free what u should be paying for. Becareful using

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

katdroid

Reaction score
hot spot help

OK so I broke down and paid the $20 bucks to have hot spot. But how do I get it to work. called verizon tech...no help. anyone??

chigreen

Reaction score
So i have usb tethered from my droid x to my mac and have full interntet capabilities and never received a popup of any sorts about needing to sign up for an extra feature.

Anyone else do this with out repercussion?

tawalker42

Reaction score
Im using PDAnet on my droid x (unrooted) and its works great. Also i did purchase the full version so i wouldnt have to worry about it later. I tried the mobile hotspot but got so fed up with it dropping connection every few minutes. I did notice somewhere that someone mentioned that if verizon notices you are using more data than a usual phone may use, they can flag your account. I would hate to be in a legal battle with verizon. I will continue to use tethering but it is a little scary.

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Altho wifi tether is available on the DX, I prefer to use simple USB tether for one simple reason. I spend lots of time online - so my phone needs to be charged. If I'm going to plug my phone into my laptop to charge it, I might as well use the same wire to do the tethering!

I recommend easytether since I find it more relaiable (and cheaper) than pdanet. I link my second laptop the first one with either a wifi connection using my router, or with an adhoc connection. I like the router route better since that lets me connect to my printer thru either laptop.

GerryEgan

Reaction score
I am completely untechnical with this Motorola Droid X and don't know anything about rooting, (at least not the way y'all mean it here!).

However, with a $6 Bluetooth usb dongle I used to use with a previous phone, I just 'wirelessly tethered' my laptop and Droid and got online quickly and easily using the built in Bluetooth Personal Area Networking and Dial up Networking. My Bluetooth dongle came with BlueSoleil software which isn't exactly intuitive but once set up is easy to use and connect with the phone. I'd used it previously with a Treo 650 and a Treo Pro, (both also Alltel/Verizon), and now found it useable with my Droid X.

It wasn't blazingly fast but certainly adequate for my needs. I was able to check email, watch a YouTube video, do an online banking transaction, etc.

For my limited use this will work fine and may for others, too. As I recall, I bought the Bluetooth USB dongle at CompUSA.

I hope that's helpful.