Droid X hotspot and tethering

dicdoc

Reaction score
Hi -
New to forum. Hope this is the right place to ask this.
My older Dell computer, running XP, does not have wifi capability. Is it possible to tehter Droid X to the computer via USB cable and then access the hotspot for internet use or must it be wireless? If it must be wireless, any suggestions as to best way to upgrade Dell computer? Thanks.

OP
D

dicdoc

Reaction score
tehtering

Thanks for the quick answer. Being a non-techie, do I just plug the droid x into the usb connection and go for it or do I need to put software on the computer, etc? Sorry for being dumb.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You do not need to root the phone for usb tethering. PDA Net in the market is what you want to search for. The first 30 days is free and then you pay if you want to access https secure sites thereafter. Otherwise http sites are still free to access.

crimster

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the mobile hotspot is free now...is that the case? I have the latest updates on my X ... It would be great to use it for my wireless internet if its now FREE

OP
D

dicdoc

Reaction score
free hotspot

Not free that I know of. Just got new DX and it costs $20/mo for hotspot.

crimster

Reaction score
I was under the impression that on the new update, it was going to be free....not sure where I read that however. 20 is still pretty cheap.

OP
D

dicdoc

Reaction score
hotspot

Yes, certainly cheaper then the USB modem I currently use. Had hoped to just plug the DX into the old computer and jump on line without doing anything else.

crimster

Reaction score
So are are the techies at church or something? Or at least someone that knows way too much about these phones than can give a for real answer? I did the connect too and saw the 20 month service fee. But I know I saw that the new update on the X made it free now...???dancedroid

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Mobile Hot Spot for Android is not a free, VZW is charging for this service, and I highly doubt they will ever offer it for free

BodyBagz

Reaction score
So are are the techies at church or something? Or at least someone that knows way too much about these phones than can give a for real answer? I did the connect too and saw the 20 month service fee. But I know I saw that the new update on the X made it free now...???dancedroid

The Mobile HotSpot feature of this device, being able to send out a WiFi signal to 5 other devices, is in fact not free and still costs $20 a month in addition to the other fees charged for having this device.

To tether the device via USB is free if you use software such as PDANet or Easy Tether.

If you want to get around the $20 a month Service Charge, then you will need to "root" your device and use software designed for that task...

crimster

Reaction score
...THERE WE GO !!...See I knew one of you were out there !! Thanks bodyBagzzzzzzzzz...Good answer...now...
What is "root" my device mean? I will look that one up...