Droid X Hasn't Updated in Over a Year

bsquire

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum or if this issue has been addressed in the past.

Here's my story: I've had my Droid X for almost a year now. Actually I purchased 2 Droid X's at the same time. One has consistently received updates. Mine, however, has not yet received a single update. For reference, when I go to "About phone", it tells me the system version is "Version.1.13.604.MB810.Verizon.en.US". The firmware version is "2.1-update1".

When I tap "System updates", I get "Check for updates was not available at this time. Try again later."

I've uninstalled all Market apps. I've wiped the cache partition. What else can I do to get the updates? I feel like I'm living in the Dark Ages without them?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you rooted? Do you have all the system files installed including bloatware? You can always manually update by rooting and getting the files

CM74DX

anuraj1

Reaction score
I don't think you have to be rooted if you just get a hold of the official signed 2.3 update file, name it "update.zip" and place it on the root of the SD card. Then boot into the stock recovery and apply the update.zip

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since he is on Eclair, he will need to upgrade to Froyo and then GB

CM74DX

OP
B

bsquire

Reaction score
Are you rooted? Do you have all the system files installed including bloatware? You can always manually update by rooting and getting the files

CM74DX

I don't think you have to be rooted if you just get a hold of the official signed 2.3 update file, name it "update.zip" and place it on the root of the SD card. Then boot into the stock recovery and apply the update.zip

CM74DX

Sadly, I don't know what any of these things mean. I'm afraid I'll need someone to walk me through the steps.

Zalithian

Reaction score

CM74DX

CM74DX

Sadly, I don't know what any of these things mean. I'm afraid I'll need someone to walk me through the steps.

You'd need to upgrade one version at a time I guess, so if you're on 2.1 then you need to find official 2.2 update, update that, and then find 2.3 and update that. The root of the SD card is like the main directory, so probably G: or whatever I believe. You'd have to rename 2.2 update to update.zip, put it in G: or whatever your root directory is for your SD Card, then boot into recovery by doing this:
1. Turn your phone off.
2. Hold down “Home” and press “Power” until the Motorola logo appears.
3. Release ”Power” and continue to hold “Home” until an exclamation appears.
4. Release “Home” and press the “Search” button once.
5. Your phone will now enter recovery.

You then select the option to apply update.zip and apply it for 2.2 and then find 2.3, rename it update.zip, reboot into recovery and apply that update as well. 2.2 is called Froyo and 2.3 is called Gingerbread.