Droid X Froyo 2.2 BlueTooth/Handsfree Interference

L1TEMUP

Reaction score
Hello -

Curious to know if anyone else has isssues w/ intermittent interference while talking on DroidX 2.2 (rooted) via bluetooth handsfree. I can connect calls, upload address book, hear phone ring, etc...but when talking i will get intermittent interference that completely blocks the ability for me to hear and to be heard for aprox 2-4 seconds. In a 4 block radius it will occur 4 - 5x. Very Very annoying. What really sucks is that it appears to be a combo of the DroidX and my BMW 2007 X5

Enviornment:
1. DroidX running leaked Froyo
2. BMW X5 2007 w/ bluetooth

Troubleshooting Thus Far:
1. Rebooting DroidX
2. Repairing it (multiple times)
3. Tried w/ Stock 2.1 using an sbf flash
4. Tried it w/ 2.2 (froyo)..froyo fixed an address book issue but not the interference.
5. Tried a buddies DroidX and it demonstrated the exact same issue
6. Tried a buddies original Droid and it did NOT have a problem. Worked perfectly.
7. Used my DrodX w/ 2.1 in a 5 series 2010 and it did NOT have a problem.
8. Made sure that the bmw car firmware was at latest release

so i'm stuck. Assuming there is no hope. Maybe someone can let me know any additional troubleshooting that i overlooked and/or a channel I can use to get issue escalated?

thanks in advance

kpiskin

Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to trade in the BMW. Just kidding. I have a Ford Mustang with Sync and the phone side seems to work fine. I have noticed when streaming MP3s or Pandora through BT that there seems to be a stuttering every few minutes. I rebooted and this went away, but then returned later. I read in another forum to try turning off wifi, and that seems to have worked, but I haven't tested extensively. I am also running Froyo on the DX.

OP
L

L1TEMUP

Reaction score
Didn't think about the wireless trick. I know the original Droid had wireless turned on and didn't have issues. But I will definitely try toggling the wireless and report back.

--Update: By the way "stuttering every few minutes" is the perfect explanation of the problem.. Sounds like it is definitely related.

OP
L

L1TEMUP

Reaction score
SOLUTION:
Kpiskin - your idea worked. Toggling the wireless off prevented stuttering every few minutes. MUCH APPRECIATED!

obviously, would be killer if I didn't need to worry about toggling wireless. I'm noticing other threads about the bluetooth. Seems bluetooth is a bit 1/2 baked. Here is to hoping a longer term solution is identified.

For now, I'll make do.

Again, thanks for the help kpiskin

Seth

phdieum

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the official 2.2 on my Droid X. I too am having the WiFi interference when using the Bluetooth in my BMW 7 series. If I turn the WiFi off though, no more periodic interference. What a pain to turn it off every time I get into the car. I hope they fix this bug soon.

kpiskin

Reaction score
It sounds like the WiFi periodically looks for a network and for whatever reason stops the BT connection.

Sent from my DROIDX

mcshady96

Reaction score
bluetooth stream ford sync

how in the world did you get your droid x to stream music with the ford sync in your mustang? i have the ford edge with myford touch and the phone portion works great, but i cannot get the streaming over bluetooth to work...i hooked up my buddys droid incredible and it worked flawless

kpiskin

Reaction score
I just say "bluetooth audio" and my mp3s automatically play unless I have Pandora running.

Sent from my DROIDX

big007hed

Reaction score
I just say "bluetooth audio" and my mp3s automatically play unless I have Pandora running.

Sent from my DROIDX

I have the same problem, my MP3s play perfect but the moment I try to play Pandora or iHeartRadio and nothing comes through..... No one has a fix for this or any tricks to try?

Thanks.

CWH2662

Reaction score
Bluetooth problem

I've been suffering intermittent hiccups in my Droid x with Froyo and prior to it. Before Droid x I had LG Dare and had the same problem. My conclusion is that it depends which channel is selected because just yesterday I was listening while walking and it started so I shut bluetooth off totally with the menu button and then restarted it and didn't have a single interruption for an hour. Does anyone out there know how to find which channel is good and preselect it?

Puzzled in Providence

wmayo44

Reaction score
I can confirm that turning off WiFi makes my streaming work perfectly. When it IS on, there is terrible gaps, dropouts, of the streaming music from any source.

This was with Droid X and Ford Fusion Hybrid with Microsoft Sync.

It's clear when I turn it off and on, it totally affects the feed, and I agree with a prior poster, that somehow the Wifi "search" mode "hangs up" the Blue Tooth.

An easy fix ... well, actually a workaround, until they do an update to fix it.

kelemvor

Reaction score
I've got a nearly identical problem. When connected to an 802.11 router, and using bluetooth, all outbound audio from the bluetooth is badly garbled. I stumbled on disabling the 802.11 as the bluetooth seemed to work fine when I was out and about, but as soon as I got near an associated access point the problem started happening.

I'm on a Droid 2 Global with android 2.2 as well. Baseband N_01.48.05R

Hope someone finds something to solve this, as it's quite a drag to have to disable 802.11 to use bluetooth reliably.

eyecrusty

Reaction score
I just had to post. Thank you. This has been really bothering me. Turning off wifi did the trick.

AHHHHHh:icon_ banana:

gmann001

Reaction score
Not sure if this is related, but I have the Droid 2 with 2.2. Most of my mp3's played great via bluetooth (on the Motorola headset (S9-HD)), however, there was always a few that would stutter consistently. After trying nearly every suggestion out there, I found that when I unchecked the ENHANCED STEREO option under the bluetooth settings, the stuttering stoppped. Unfortunately I did lose some sound quality.

Rrrr4321

Reaction score
I registered to say thank you all for the fix.

For you I will also provide some more background to information I now found too through sipdroid:

Bluetooth - sipdroid - Bluetooth for Sipdroid - Free SIP/VoIP client for Android - Google Project Hosting
Issue 2765 - android - Pioneer DEH-P6100BT Stereo Bluetooth "Skipping" - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Bluetooth/WLAN interference
Sipdroid calls are often placed over Bluetooth which operates on the same wireless frequency as WLAN. Like surfing over WLAN during a regular Bluetooth call we observed dropouts which do not occur when calling over 3G, this disabling Wi-Fi while Bluetooth is enabled.

If your phone is rooted you can write the line "Master=true" to /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf (as outlined in Issue 2765 - android - Pioneer DEH-P6100BT Stereo Bluetooth "Skipping" - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting). This workaround solved all such interference issues for us!

Handsfree vs. Headset vs. A2DP profiles
An issue has been reported about A2DP headsets staying silent with Sipdroid (see Issue 561 - sipdroid - No audio call audio to bluetooth stereo headset - Free SIP/VoIP client for Android - Google Project Hosting). We have not been able to reproduce this at i-p-tel yet.

However, we found that Bluetooth devices supporting Handsfree profile show similar issues. Reason here is that they require not only a SCO audio connection to be established but also call control messages over the ACL link (which is still exclusively maintained by the built-in Phone application).

A workaround for this issue is disabling Handsfree profile to make the device work over Headset profile. We installed the "Autostart (Root)" app, and put "/system/bin/sdptool del 0x10003" into "/data/opt/autostart.sh". This worked as long as Bluetooth is enabled, and hasn't been disabled since boot, and the Bluetooth connection is established from the device to your phone.