Droid X DLNA and Dock Demo

phatkat66

Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!! I always try to find a back view of cradles so I can get a better idea of where imma put the thing. I never know how its gonna look or how far back its really gonna lean this is awesome thanks!

OP
daxdm302

daxdm302

Reaction score
You Welcome i was wondering the same so i decided to google after i couldnt find anything in the forums

hendrix

Reaction score
why couldnt they put a full sized HDMI connection on the back of the cradle? They are REALLY wanting to sell their own HDMI cable eh?

phatkat66

Reaction score
I dont think its them wanting to sell their own HDMI cords as im sure there will be cheap 3rd party products out soon as well. Its more that its an HDMI 'OUT' so it makes a difference. Like the usb cord on one end vs the other end. (Idk though im just trying to make sense of it myself)

hendrix

Reaction score
No that isn't the case at all. HDMI cables can (and mostly are) the same exact plugs on both sides. The size that the phones are using is a mini hdmi connection which is a standard. I understand why they would use the mini on the phone itself to save room but there is no reason to use it on the dock. Mini HDMI to Standard HDMI cables can already be bought for like $4ish a piece. ( Video Cables - Mini-HDMI/HDMI )

rolandct

Reaction score
No that isn't the case at all. HDMI cables can (and mostly are) the same exact plugs on both sides. The size that the phones are using is a mini hdmi connection which is a standard. I understand why they would use the mini on the phone itself to save room but there is no reason to use it on the dock. Mini HDMI to Standard HDMI cables can already be bought for like $4ish a piece. ( Video Cables - Mini-HDMI/HDMI )

This way if yo udon't have an extra HDMI cable you aren't stuck buying one for the dock and one for the phone. The same cable works on both. Not saying this makes the most sense, but I assume that must be why. Same cable for both.

hendrix

Reaction score
I could see that but it still aggravates me ;) I would rather have my dock perma plugged in with a standard hdmi cable and have a mini for travel or what not.

phatkat66

Reaction score
I could see that but it still aggravates me ;) I would rather have my dock perma plugged in with a standard hdmi cable and have a mini for travel or what not.

Lol if unplugging and plugging a wire aggravates you, you must live a a very easy going life lol I have to take my phone charger with me everywhere, as well as connect my ps3/360 from my huge tv in my room to the computers smaller screen every other day when I want to play online (I hate the ethernet cord stretching across the rooms, and wifi isn't smooth enough for me) lol a simple mini hmdi unplug and carry isn't that bad. But I do plan on leaving the dock in my office and the hdmi cord at home or wherever I go, I don't mind laying the phone flat on a surface while the media plays. And its good to hear the hdmi minis are 4$ lol I bought my hdmi cords for 2$ somewhere on amazon lol gotta love these cheap but affective wires LOL

hendrix

Reaction score
haha, a simple unplug and plugin doesn't bother me, it is the ones that require moving my home entertainment center that are annoying. For this reason i bought a spare power plug and hdmi just so that I could easily move my PS3 to another room if need be. I also have a phone charger for every location that i may want to plug in my phone to charge and one for travel. Ah, lazy at its finest :D

OP
daxdm302

daxdm302

Reaction score
the hdmi on the phone and dock is micro HDMI which costs more......
IDK why they didnt put a full size port on the back of the dock

phatkat66

Reaction score
haha, a simple unplug and plugin doesn't bother me, it is the ones that require moving my home entertainment center that are annoying. For this reason i bought a spare power plug and hdmi just so that I could easily move my PS3 to another room if need be. I also have a phone charger for every location that i may want to plug in my phone to charge and one for travel. Ah, lazy at its finest :D

LMAO Why have I not thought of this! LMAO
I have my lazy moments.... so much that I've played the same game for months because I didn't feel like swapping discs LMAO Now imma go buy some more cords for 4$ a piece lol

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
FYI, the link above is for a Type C HDMI cable and my understanding is that the DX uses a Type D. I don't know for sure so please look into this before your purchase!!!

Also, regarding the laziness aspect... There's a real downside to unplugging and replugging in the HDMI cable because HDMI ports are notorious for going bad due to repeated plugging/unplugging of the cable! So lazy or not, it makes much more sense to plug it in and keep it plugged in as much as you can. Occasionally unplugging it is no problem, but doing it on a regular basis will cause your HDMI port(s) to go bad. The last thing you need is your HDMI port going bad on your TV or Receiver.

johnnyo4evr

Reaction score
Anyone consider if the Droid X will still fit on the dock and car holder dock if it has a case on!!?!??

macatk89

Reaction score
for real... why the hell isn't the port on the back of the dock not a full size??? if we drop our money on one of these BS microHDMI cables, I want to be able to travel with it, not have it perma-plugged into my home theatre system. who wants to pull the receiver out of the cabinet and re-feed the wire everytime you go somewhere? defeats the purpose of a DOCK...