Droid X - Can't edit NVRAM config with Carrier settings

darkwolf

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have read and read, trying to have the phone all up and working. I have rooted, bootstrapped, flashed, etc.; been doing a whole lot of reading. But my problem comes when trying to configure the phone with my carrier's settings.

I've noticed a lot of people having this problem, and lots got fixed by running a tool which creates an NV files and loads it via CDMA Workshop. I tried that, but the problem is that I have to edit certain fields with other strings which are by "default" on the NV hex file; and it just won't let me.

My question is: Is there any way to "unlock" the NVRAM so I could edit the settings individually? Or maybe create an NV file with my carrier's information and then load it?

I remember with my Droid 1, it accepted the settings perfectly fine in QPST.

I would definitely appreciate if anyone could assist with this.

Thanks.

ArmyDude

Reaction score
I believe the issue is with the locked bootloader. I could be wrong... but that is a big problem for most changes. Anybody else?

OP
D

darkwolf

Reaction score
@ArmyDude Thanks for trying.

You think it may be the bootloader? Well I might give that a try, what would you recommend me that could be unlocked?

Anyone else wants to comment?

Regards,

Dustin.

Reaction score
Unlike the D1 the D2 and the DX have locked bootloaders. They are encrypted by Motorola and so far no one has been able to unlock it. Which by the looks of it and by what's been posted, that will never happen anytime soon or in the near future.. So before you go searching high and low, I figured id let ya know that piece of info!

If you need anything else feel free to post up your questions or PM me!

Sent from my DROID X.

OP
D

darkwolf

Reaction score
Oh I understand, yeah well that makes sense.
The only thing that remains is, well I don't know if I can post any sistes, but there's a link from a user named whiterabbit, he was able to make a script which you can load as NV file with any settings you have. It exports a HEX file which you can load via CDMA Workshop, which I tried to use and it saved those settings, the problem remains when trying to change other settings which should be different but it does not allow.

The only thing I'm thinking I can do is, if I'm able to read that HEX file, maybe I can modify some information there; or even maybe having someone create a HEX file for me.

What do you guys think?

Dustin.

Reaction score
Oh I understand, yeah well that makes sense.
The only thing that remains is, well I don't know if I can post any sistes, but there's a link from a user named whiterabbit, he was able to make a script which you can load as NV file with any settings you have. It exports a HEX file which you can load via CDMA Workshop, which I tried to use and it saved those settings, the problem remains when trying to change other settings which should be different but it does not allow.

The only thing I'm thinking I can do is, if I'm able to read that HEX file, maybe I can modify some information there; or even maybe having someone create a HEX file for me.

What do you guys think?

That's not really my area of experience, but I'm sure is he did it, and it worked, then you shouldn't have a problem with loading your own. Just different codes but applied the same.

OP
D

darkwolf

Reaction score
Yeah exactly, he had the ability to create a script which created an NV hex file which you could load and those settings applied to perfection.

now what I just tried is to set up the exact same settings on my D1, back up the NV items, and then load them onto my DX; but settings didn't save.

So I'm back to the start.

OP
D

darkwolf

Reaction score
No luck with editing the values with HEX, it didn't help.
still not able to edit the settings with my proper carrier ones.
Bump.

Dustin.

Reaction score
Maybe check with him and get a followup on what he did and how he managed to get it to stick.

Who knows, maybe he will be able to help you further and get it to where this can be publicly done and help out everyone else with what your trying to do!

Just keep in mind that your messing with a locked bootloader now..

Sent from my DROID X.