Droid X as replacement Ipod

Sanpan

Reaction score
Recently I had a disastrous experience with my ipod and water... needless to say I am looking to replace it...

I am currently eligible for an upgrade from Verizon and have been contemplating the idea of finally getting a smartphone... The problem is I can't justify purchasing both a new ipod and a new phone with the added $29.99 data plan to my bill...

I am curious if the new Droid X is capable of performing like an ipod...
I currently use my ipod when I'm at the gym, walking to and from class, and the occasional use on a road trip

Basically how useful is the mp3 player compared to that of an ipod

daxdm302

Reaction score
Being an owner of a Droid X i would say it would be a good mp3 player and video player, but the android music player and video players dont have the best ui and you must remember you cannot sync with itunes,though you copy drag and drop files to the droid from itunes the X will not play protected files...

Your best bet would be to go to a verizon store and play with the Droid X and determine if you like the music player and video player before you decide what you want

Personally i like the music player and have purchased a seperates video player app for my Droid x

Hope this helps....

jonant29

Reaction score
there is also a app called doubletwist for the phone and computer which has a similar interface to itunes

tdowning6

Reaction score
I have both an ipod and a Droid1 and I use my Droid a lot more than my ipod. Working out,mowing the lawn,or just sitting in my office. Plus being able to listen to the radio apps is priceless. You can us double twist but I found it was just easier to drag files onto it.

OP
S

Sanpan

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys... I downloaded doubletwist to check it out on the computer and I'll be heading to the verizon store on monday to handle the X for a final decision!!

ffej89

Reaction score
You can use your droid just fine as a mp3 but remember the battery in these newer phones dont quite last like an ipod. I bought two batteries of ebay with a charger for 10$ so i can carry an extra all the time

scrizzo

Reaction score
When i bought my droid last year I also owned an ipod touch. The droid eventually became my primary mp3 player since I wouldnt always bring my ipod with me but my ipod had a majority of songs, both itunes and regular non-protected mp3s.

Enter mSpot.

mspot is an app that, after registering, will let you upload 2gb (or 1600 songs) of music online from ur computer for free. I was able to upload my whole itunes library and playlists to it and stream from my droid once it was finished. Basically my ipod library is now accesible to stream from my droid.

a con is that it isn't really streaming. The app will need to DL some of your songs. The app gives you the option to how much memory you want to let it use, to DL your favorites/most played, etc. The memory you could let it use ranges from the whole sd card to 1gb of it. The audio is a little bit lacking in quality too, mainly to "stream" it faster i believe.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
have a d2 and an ipod touch, i rarely use the ipod touch but you can tether you ipod touch off your droid.

beastlittle

Reaction score
You CAN sync with iTunes with iSyncr app. Also I use my android music player all the time and I even own an iPod Touch.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

rlfitz

Reaction score
the droid will also allow you to listen to streaming audio from tons of different music genres over 3g. cant do that with an ipod. The ISYNCR app allows you to sync your droid to your itunes library. I dont use my nano or touch anymore.