Droid won't boot after updating DroidMod to latest Durden release

J-Dro

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. I have been running the original DroidMod 1.0 with no problems for many months. Today I updated to the latest version of the DMUpdater-12. The DMUpdater now contains a couple of choices for ROM's. I chose the Durden based one. The new ROM downloaded normally. The Updater asked if I wanted to install the ROM and I said go for it. The update didn't give any errors, but when the phone rebooted, I see the Moto logo, followed by the DroidMod logo, and that's where it hangs. Tried removing the battery and rebooting, but the results are the same.

FWIW I did a Titanium backup right before I updated the ROM.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
did you make a backup in recovery?

OP
J

J-Dro

Reaction score
did you make a backup in recovery?

No, I thought that Titanium was all I needed to do.

Also, I am able to boot into SPRecovery by holding the X key and powering up. I only tried to enable USB mass storage so far, so I can see whats on the SD card. I haven't tried any other options yet, figuring it's time to consult the experts. :)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
titanium is good for when your phone can boot to restore settings, you need to make nandroid backups for when making any changes to your system (installing a different build number, kernel, or ROM) incase you phone cant boot

from here id say your best option it to find a stock nandroid to boot into and use titanium to restore what you can (after you root to be able to use titanium)

OP
J

J-Dro

Reaction score
titanium is good for when your phone can boot to restore settings, you need to make nandroid backups for when making any changes to your system (installing a different build number, kernel, or ROM) incase you phone cant boot

from here id say your best option it to find a stock nandroid to boot into and use titanium to restore what you can (after you root to be able to use titanium)

Hmm OK. Where to look for the stock nandroid? Sorry for the newbie question.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
titanium is good for when your phone can boot to restore settings, you need to make nandroid backups for when making any changes to your system (installing a different build number, kernel, or ROM) in case you phone cant boot

Hmm OK. Where to look for the stock nandroid? Sorry for the newbie question.

Just use your computer to download a custom rom you like, put it on you sdcard (you can mount the card while in SPR), rename it update.zip (check your sdcard after you do this to make sure the name is correct), unmount the sdcard and select install, install allow, install (or whatever the thing says - after you select install, there are two other install options you have to select). You should be good to go.

OP
J

J-Dro

Reaction score
Well I was able to use SPRecovery to reload the Droidmod 1.0 ROM. I had to wipe data, but all in all it could be much worse. I recovered most settings with the Titanium backup and my phone is working again.

Note to self: Make a SPRecovery backup next time before trying a new ROM.

Thanks for the help guys.