DROID with an In-Dash Navigation System?

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I'm looking up solutions for my minivan, I want to replace my current CD player and tape deck with an in-dash navigation system. So far, I'm looking at systems that have options for the iPhone, iPod and so forth...but no mentioning of DROID, unfortunately. I'll be honest, I do not have a DROID phone yet, but I plan on getting one soon enough...probably Summer 2011. These systems are expensive, and I'd want to utilize them to their fullest potential.

I'm wondering here if any of you DROID owners own one of these in-dash navigation systems, and are you able to use the same features with the navigation system as you are if you had an iPhone? I'm sure calling and storing address book would be no different on any phone with bluetooth, but what for a music docking station (in otherwords, an iPod like feature for DROID that is compatible)?

LewD1

Reaction score
You can find an Android tablet and mount/install it into your dash. I have thought about going this route. If your minivan has a wifi router, you can connect to the internet on the tablet to take advantage of the navigation. Find a tablet with removable sdcard and you can load pics, apps, music onto it. Better, sign up for a cloud service, then you can stream your files to the tablet.

grizcoach

Reaction score
I saw a TV program where a guy did a custom installation for an iPad in the dash with built in power jack (when you slide in the iPad, it automatically was inserted into the power cord. He made a custom dash cover for it. It looked very cool. Then you could use Google maps as your navigation system.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
If you want to you use your phone as the navigation then what you need is a system that will have a cradle for the phone. I am not familiar with one but i'm not sure you could get one off the shelf as once the phone is pulled out the system would have no "brain". I think if you really want something like that it would have to be custom.

grizcoach

Reaction score
Here are some videos about just that:

[video=youtube;SsU6RxHwsu4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsU6RxHwsu4]YouTube - iPad Custom Car Mount - How to Install[/video]

[video=youtube;EXW1PSAF4vU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXW1PSAF4vU&feature=related]YouTube - PADHOLDR.COM The only way to install an ipad in your car.[/video]

This one is way cool!!!!
[video=youtube;1TaVigs8Who]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaVigs8Who&feature=related]YouTube - Fishman's iPad Install[/video]

[video=youtube;RAVIW3RQAvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAVIW3RQAvQ]YouTube - iPad In car , dodge charger , 151 Motorsports Annapolis md[/video]

just google dashboard installation iPad and there are many videos

Graymayre

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that there is a major difference between a gps and the mobile devices. The gps has the maps stored, whereas the mobile units require at least 3G for online map access. It is great for short trips, but if you do a bit of travelling, you may find it isn't the best option as a navigation system. 3G still isn't everywhere yet.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

grizcoach

Reaction score
Isn't there an app that stores maps on your phone. I think it's called CoPilot Live. Stores 2g of maps. Don't know anything about cost but they're giving two copies away. Look in the forums for it

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sure calling and storing address book would be no different on any phone with bluetooth, but what for a music docking station (in otherwords, an iPod like feature for DROID that is compatible)?
Android does not have a standardized dock connector like the iOS devices. A2DP and AVRCP are probably your best bets unless you want to hardwire from your headphone jack to the aux port on the head unit you're considering.

If you want to you use your phone as the navigation then what you need is a system that will have a cradle for the phone.
Which is not what the OP is asking about. The OP is asking about in-dash nav systems that also support Android devices. I'd suggest just using the Android device for nav. The head units with built-in nav tend to get outdated very quickly even with map updates.

Just keep in mind that there is a major difference between a gps and the mobile devices. The gps has the maps stored, whereas the mobile units require at least 3G for online map access.
Incorrect. Whether maps are locally stored or not depends on the app you're talking about. Google Maps Nav isn't the only nav app for Android. CoPilot and Navigon -- among others -- store map data locally. It's not a matter of standalone versus smartphone GPS no matter which OS you're talking about.