Droid Turbo Bootloader Unlock In The Works

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Jcase and therootninja team are working on a bootloader unlock for the droid turbo. They have recently released a bootloader unlock for the latest updates to the Moto X. Their Sunshine app also supports many other Motorola and HTC devices. Therootninja twitter account just posted that while they are working towards an unlock for the Droid Turbo it is going to take them alot of work. It will take much more work than they originally anticipated and they will not be able to give us an ETA. Hopefully this will be available soon.

via @TheRootNinja

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm already rooted....Xposed, Adblock and wireless tether are pretty much all I need. Although it would be nice to reclaim the 1GB of bloat that can't be removed because of the root method.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I'm already rooted....Xposed, Adblock and wireless tether are pretty much all I need. Although it would be nice to reclaim the 1GB of bloat that can't be removed because of the root method.
How did you get Root? Are you running the OTA of 5.1?

kitcostantino

Reaction score
When BL unlock happens, it will be great. I plan on running n6 roms on my Turbo. Same chipset, same gpu, same ram. Just not the whale size. It will be liberating. So grateful to jcase, beaups, and collectively therootninja team. (Them). The Turbos potential will finally be realized. At least until the Moto X Play comes out in a few weeks. ;)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
How did you get Root? Are you running the OTA of 5.1?

I paid the $20 for Moforoot and XDA has a modified 5.1 image with Xposed, Adblock and wireless tether...along with some other tweaks.

But if you already upgraded to the 5.1 OTA I think you're SOL....had to do the root while still on 4.4.4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think you & FoxKat were one only a small few on DF who rooted their Turbo soon after obtaining them.

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think you & FoxKat were one only a small few on DF who rooted their Turbo soon after obtaining them.

S5 tap'n

Oh, I only did it about 3 weeks ago. It was more than I thought it was or I would have done it sooner. But I kept delaying taking the update seeing if they could get it to work on Lollipop, and when they did I took the plunge.

USB tether worked fine for me, but with limited ports on my ultrabook wireless tether is the way to go. Also really nice to change some stuff with Xposed that I didn't care for in Lollipop.

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yeah, I'm running a rooted ROM with just wireless tether. I need to reflash one like yours @kodiak799. Do you have a link to the thread?

Is it stable? The one in running is stable but I'm still on KitKat. You're saying it's now on Lollipop?

Reactions: cr6

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's rock solid, although camera and HDrecorder can be a bit wonky (although I think a handful of cache clears fix it). It's like the only rom over on XDA.

Lollipop is a bit of work initially. You basically have to flash all of the OTA piece by piece (like 6 steps) except for the system image, and then flash the rooted system image last.

But it's easy and runs great. I like that I no longer have annoyingly intrusive full-screen pop-up ads on Droidforums (seriously, it was 100X worse than any other site I visit).