droid to droid 2 transition

ecnahc

Reaction score
hey i got my droid 2 recently [as a warranty replacement for a droid]. before switching to it i took a titanium backup of my sms/mms data. that's pretty much the only system data i care about when backing up.

when i restore it on my droid 2 i have issues. i can open the text message app i can see all the restored messages, but the second i try to click one, the app closes to homescreen. it doesn't even FC, it just closes.

i'm just looking for a way to get my sms AND mms messages back onto the new phone.

on a side note, i noticed that it seems like there's no more 'unlimited' storage. should i just install a 3rd party text app on my old phone, back that up and restore that to my new phone?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your last idea seems the best to me, the D1 and D2 have different mms applications so I don't see transfering one right to the other working very good

Handcent on the other (hand) :) is the same app for both devices, if there is a backup option within handcent back up your texts to your D1's SD and then restore it on your D2...if handcent has that option, Chomp sms might be another to look at

OP
E

ecnahc

Reaction score
Your last idea seems the best to me, the D1 and D2 have different mms applications so I don't see transfering one right to the other working very good

Handcent on the other (hand) :) is the same app for both devices, if there is a backup option within handcent back up your texts to your D1's SD and then restore it on your D2...if handcent has that option, Chomp sms might be another to look at

yea i was hoping i wouldn't have to resort to that. i don't really like handcent or chompsms. i've tried both and ended up reverting back to the stock app. :\

i can't wait for a rom for this thing. arghhh

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Theres an app called SMS backup and Restore. If you use wifi to download it from your D1, just open the app and hit backup SMS. It'll put the backup file on your SD card, so switch the card to your D2 afterwards. Install the app on your D2, and open the app and hit Restore SMS. I did this a few times when using ROMs and when changing phones and it's worked great.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Got a droid 2 as a warranty replacement and I used titanium to restore handscent, beautiful widgets, dolphin browser/xscope. They all installed perfectly including my personal settings. Now a few apps f/cs like the original dolphin browser. If they f/c you will need to uninstall and reinstall in the market (as you know) the data from the droid 1 is conflicting with the droid 2. Titanium has saved me a lot of time. The premium app allows you to freeze some of the bloatware like blockbusters, kindle, and a bunch of bloated apps you do not want. The good thing about that is you get to see if anything go haywired. Once you freeze an app and reboot the app is gone. So Titanium is a good tool imo.

OP
E

ecnahc

Reaction score
Got a droid 2 as a warranty replacement and I used titanium to restore handscent, beautiful widgets, dolphin browser/xscope. They all installed perfectly including my personal settings. Now a few apps f/cs like the original dolphin browser. If they f/c you will need to uninstall and reinstall in the market (as you know) the data from the droid 1 is conflicting with the droid 2. Titanium has saved me a lot of time. The premium app allows you to freeze some of the bloatware like blockbusters, kindle, and a bunch of bloated apps you do not want. The good thing about that is you get to see if anything go haywired. Once you freeze an app and reboot the app is gone. So Titanium is a good tool imo.

i agree and know titanium is a great tool, but i like my restorations to be very selective. titanium backs up a lot of system data. almost a 3rd of the backup data i'm not sure if i should restore because i try to avoid conflicts and FCs.

let me ask you this, when you did a full restore from your d1 to d2, did your text messaging app work normally? did it restore both text and mms messages?

thanks for the input